GMAT PREP 680, Real GMAT 540 :(

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

GMAT PREP 680, Real GMAT 540 :(

by alex.gellatly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:33 am
I took the GMAT today and failed, miserably. As the title states I got a 540 (Q35V29). I am very confused and depressed right now. I have been studying since November, and studying well. I put in 3+ hours a day and 5-7 on Sundays. Obviously, it didn't pay off. Now, I don't know what to do.

I took GMAT prep (second test) last Sunday and got a 680 (Q40V41) and thought I was OK. The week before I took the first test and got a 670. Besides that I took 5 of the MGMAT CAT's and did around the 620-670 range. Obviously I need to retake the test.

I have two problems. The first is, as you all know the test is changing. The second is, I'm in Taiwan (I'm an American, not Taiwanese). I don't know what to do. Should I cram for a month and retake the exam before the change or take the test later with the changes. Similarly, because I'm in Taiwan my access to prep schools is off the table. Does anyone know of some good online prep programs with proven results?

Any advice would be helpful..... I want to die :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ahodge24 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 am
Aside from the point decrease, your practice CAT's seem to indicate that you actually do know the material. Maybe you just had an off day (it happens). I would try to relax hone in on material to make sure you still grasp basic concepts and have a strategic approach to your problem solving on both verbal and quant.

Don't lose focus and don't give up.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 am
The fact that your CAT scores were so much higher points to testing stress and that you actually do know the material. You can always improve on the scores though by working through the knowledge. Now is the time to analyze what was the actual problem on test day. Did you work the tests the same way you had done your practice exams? Did you feel more stressed, and therefore less focused, because it was the real test? If your CAT scores are something you would be happy with then I personally would take the test again as soon as possible. Use as many practice exams as you can to simulate the real experience and determine whether there are some holes in your strategy and or knowledge that you can shore up.

Don't let one bad score allow you to percieve yourself as a "failure". Keep focused and you will do well on this exam.

Best of Luck
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA