GMAT prep=~570, real GMAT=480

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT prep=~570, real GMAT=480

by rparchen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:26 pm
I have to say that I'm at a complete loss with this. I originally took the GMAT (with very little studying I may add) and got a 460 (both Q/V were in the low 20's if I remember right). My GMAT prep scores were pretty low as well, in the mid 400 range so my real scored seemed appropriate. I knew that wasn't going to be enough and I didn't really like the Kaplan materials so I got the OG11 materials and studied consistently for the past 2-3 months to retake the GMAT. My test scores averaged about 570, Q35/V39 or so. The program I want to enter into only has a 570 average so I figured I would be fine with a slightly lower score but with my great work experience. I just retook the GMAT today and got a dismal 480 Q28/V29. I am completely shocked that I was only able to raise my score by 20 points. I barely had any studying for the first test and felt so much stronger for this second time. The easiest math problem that I encountered on the real test was comparable to the hardest one from the OG11 materials. Everything just seemed off from my practice tests. I have pretty much exhausted my OG11 and Kaplan materials, what else can be recommended? I seemed to get 8-9 out of every 10 problems correct in my practice so OG obviously wasn't good for me for some reason. Any help would be appreciated for better study materials so I can take this miserable test for a third time.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dubc1982 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 am
I'm in the same boat. I scored a 540 on Saturday when I was scoring 590-600 on GMATPrep tests. I don't know what happened. Felt the Quant. section was much harder than any prep. I've been getting almost all of the questions right in the OG 11, so I'm at a loss. I don't know about you but I'm not giving up. If I can score above a 570, I should be good. I'm completely revamping my study method and will take the test again the second week in September. I have the 6 MGMAT tests, so I'm doing half of one each morning and will then review everything on the third day. So basically I will be taking and reviewing a complete practice test every three days for the next month and a half. I hope this works because I don't know what else to do. I felt comfortable going into the test and thought I'd do well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

MGMAT

by mgross » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 am
I do not think that MGMAT CATs are good practice for Quant. Get the online quiz bank from Kaplan.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rparchen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:45 am
dubc1982 wrote:I'm in the same boat. I scored a 540 on Saturday when I was scoring 590-600 on GMATPrep tests. I don't know what happened. Felt the Quant. section was much harder than any prep. I've been getting almost all of the questions right in the OG 11, so I'm at a loss. I don't know about you but I'm not giving up. If I can score above a 570, I should be good. I'm completely revamping my study method and will take the test again the second week in September. I have the 6 MGMAT tests, so I'm doing half of one each morning and will then review everything on the third day. So basically I will be taking and reviewing a complete practice test every three days for the next month and a half. I hope this works because I don't know what else to do. I felt comfortable going into the test and thought I'd do well.
It sounds like we had a very similar experience, the quant section was completely different from what I was expecting. I don't think I got a single probability or even a geometry question. I saw a few f(x) questions which I didn't see in any of my practice materials so I thought I may have been into the harder questions but I guess not. I am also at at loss as to why my verbal dropped a good 10 points. The only good note is that I got a 5.5 on my AWA. I have my application in for fall quarter so there isn't anything I can do in the short term. I'll retake the test, for a third time, if I have to but I'm hoping my work experience and AWA will be sufficient to get me in. I will need to find some better study material for the math section, OG11 was useless. As for improving my verbal, well, I really don't know what to do there.