GMAT Practice Test 1

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:52 am
Yeah I get that. I just mean my Quant has improved from 40, 38(First & Second CAT) to 46 (Last 2 CAT's)....Whereas my Verbal has gone 40, 38, 39, 40, 37. I.e I haven't seen much, if ANY improvement in Verbal.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:22 am
Are you noticing a specific topic that you are struggling with?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 am
SC is certainly my weakest, which gives me hope since that one seems like the one which can be improved the most. CR is certainly my strongest. RC also needs some work.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 am
Then it is definitely doable. Focus on identifying differences in answer choices for SC. Learn the patterns for the things that are tested. Here are the categories (and order of importance - at least in my opinion):

Verb Form
Parallelism
Pronoun Agreement
Agreement
Modifier
Comparison
Meaning
Logical prediction
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:55 pm
Yeah I get that. I just mean my Quant has improved from 40, 38(First & Second CAT) to 46 (Last 2 CAT's)....Whereas my Verbal has gone 40, 38, 39, 40, 37. I.e I haven't seen much, if ANY improvement in Verbal.
This is to be expected - it's more difficult to go from a very good verbal score to an elite one than it is to make an initial jump in quant. You probably saw that as you recalled the principles and equations that you learned in grades 6-9, you were able to tackle questions more easily on quant fairly quickly. So now you need a Verbal game plan. Here's what I suggest:

- Make sure you're up to speed on the principles tested in Sentence Correction. Here's our free SC lesson: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/

- Do all the SC questions in the Official Guide and make sure you understand them thoroughly. Post any questions you have here.

- Read voraciously. Anything will do, so long as the text is challenging. There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by lukebowes1234 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:12 am
Okay starting to freak out. Yesterday I took GMAT Prep Practice Test 2 and scored a 690 (second highest score I've got so far and 46Q and 38V). Wasn't as great as I had hoped, but wasn't awful for me. Then today I took MGMAT CAT 5 and scored a 630!! (This is my worst score so far a 41Q and 35V). I feel awful after that...35V is terrible! My real GMAT is Saturday August 1st and I do NOT have a lto of confidence right now. I plan on doing 100 practice questions of each question type this week. But I have a feeling I will be taking the GMAT again in a few weeks! :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:43 am
Don't freak out.
While many test-prep companies (like Manhattan Prep) have great practice tests, those companies would never suggest that their tests are as accurate as the official GMATPrep practice tests. The 3rd-party tests don't use retired GMAT questions, they don't use the official scoring algorithm, and the data collected on each question cannot be as accurate, because the students taking the tests aren't doing so in a formal testing environment.

So, while 3rd-party tests are great for practicing your test-taking skills, and for identifying weaknesses, you shouldn't use them as the sole basis for concluding that you're doomed :-)

I suggest that you take another GMATPrep test to allay your concerns.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by lukebowes1234 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:20 am
I'm taking the GMAT tomorrow morning. Any last minute tips?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:33 am
Have a positive attitude!
To this end, you may be interested in reading the following articles:
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/min ... -destroyer
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/jun ... g-big-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:19 pm
I'm with Brett. There's nothing to do at this point. Relax. Enjoy your evening. Don't study. Then go in tomorrow with a positive attitude. (And keep reminding yourself: you don't know how well you're doing, so don't try to tell. All you can do is answer the question on screen in front of you and manage your time. Remember that the hardest questions are always designed to look more challenging than they are and that the key obstacles are typically psychological. Whenever you're stuck on quant, ask yourself if the question might be easier if you picked numbers or back-solved. For verbal, be tenacious and pay close attention to subtleties in language.)

Let us know how it goes!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course