GMAT on July 14th - need help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT on July 14th - need help

by axisymmetric » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:59 am
Hello All,
I am taking my GMAT on July 14th. After taking a bunch of tests - 5 MGMAT and 1 from GMATprep I have found that I lack in the following areas -

Absolute value problems - the |a|<|b| all those kind of problems - I just cant get them right - any suggestions? I found that MGMAT has a bunch of these on their tests.

Sometimes number properties mess my mind up - for eg is n/18 an interger? - a) 5n/18=integer and b) 3n/18 =integer. These kind of questions. I take some time to figure these out.

Here are my scores from MGMAT
Non Adaptive tests -
Test 1 -640 (Q41,V36), 04/14/07
Test 2 -660 (Q45,V35) 05/12/07
Test 3 -730 (Q50,V39) 06/02/07

Adaptive tests -
Test 1 - 710 (Q47,V40) 06/10/07
Test 2 - 690 (Q49,V35) 06/21/07
I am taking the last one this afternoon (exact time of my test in 3 weeks)

I also had taken the GMAT prep and the score was 700.

My aim is to get a 700+ score. Please help.
Thanks,
A

by axisymmetric » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:15 pm
I just got done with my final MGMAT test

690 (Q49, V35) :(

I am worried because most regular people on our forum think MGMAT over estimates the score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 pm
Take some time to analyze your practice tests--do you notice any patterns of questions you consistently get wrong? What about patterns of questions you consistently get right?

It's a time consuming exercise to analyze your tests in this way, but believe me it's worth it. Let us know what you discover...

Sounds like you're hovering around your goal of a 700+! Try not to read into the results of one practice test too much.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 pm
Our tests did used to overestimate the verbal portion of the test a bit, especially at the high end, but we adjusted the algorithm in late April. It's more accurate now.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by axisymmetric » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:16 am
Thanks Eric and Stacey.

I went in detail through my reports and found that I am missing a lot in Verbal. A detailed analysis showed that critical reasoning is one area I thought I was good at. Not any more - I am seriously worried about CR, especially "Analyze the Argument Structure' - I am finding it a little bit difficult. I can understand the argument, but tend to pick the wrong answer.

Another nemesis is SC. I am going through Eric's flashcards and MGMAT SC book over and over. I am solving same questions again and again and more importantly reading explanations even if I got them right.

Can anybody give me some more advise? Exam in two weeks.

Thanks again,

A

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:59 am
FYI most people see only 1 Analyze the Arg on the official test. Every now and then, one of my students will report seeing two - usually if they are scoring well, as these tend to be harder questions.

Our algorithm allows you to get up to 3 b/c there are only 4 of these question types in the entire OG, so we wanted to give you more practice. So - don't worry too too much about this question type until you've nailed the other common CR question types - those other ones tend to show up more often.

For verbal in general, also study why the wrong answers are wrong - make sure you can articulate exactly why you should eliminate each of the wrong answers. A large part of verbal success is process of elimination.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by axisymmetric » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 am
I took the MGMAT CAT 5 yesterday and scored a 790 (Q 50 V 51) :P I think I saw 1 repeat question on Quant but nothing in Verbal. I missed 7 questions on Q and 9 wrong on verbal. I am not reading too much into the score but I was kind of surprised.

On the other side of things, I broke my left hand thumb last tuesday which is a little setback. But the doctor thinks I can definitely type come test day. I am still on track for July 14.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:23 am
Wow, that's fantastic! And FYI the algorithm is not allowed to repeat any questions until test 7, so if this was only test 5, you didn't see any repeats. It's a good sign that you think you did, though - it means you're really starting to recognize certain problem types and put them together with stuff you've learned from other similar problems in the past!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by owodee » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:41 pm
Hey thats really good news! What did you do differently in the past week that helped you so much?

My GMAT is on the 13th of July..

by axisymmetric » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:07 pm
I studied the MGMAT SC for the 'n'th time - n>5. Went through OG -Verbal book SC. I still need to study the CR part more.

On the MGMAT test I had 3 'Analyze the Argument' type question and I had all three wrong :(

by owodee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 am
Hey thanks a lot, i have already completed the Manhattan SC once but ill give it another go. My quant score is ok but I still miss quite a number of RC and SC questions.

I just started using the MGMAT tests recently and my scores have been 730 and 700 so far...

Any suggestions would be helpful, i have about 5 days till my exams :( :(

Stacey maybe?

by axisymmetric » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:46 am
Stacey...your input will be valuable..not much we both can do in terms of learning something new.. :?

I am planning on my last MGMAT test this afternoon. I will post the results as soon as I am done.

owodee can you give an update right after you are done with your GMAT?

by owodee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:13 am
I definitely will,

I took another GMATprep test yesterday and got a 760 on it (Math 50, Verbal 42) there were 3 or 4 questions in both math and verbal that I had seen before BUT I took my third MGMAT test today and got a 680 on it (Math 47, Verbal 36).

My MGMAT scores keep on going down (730, 700, 680) I don't know whats wrong..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:41 am
At this point, spend a TON of time going over each question you do - don't just try to do a lot of questions. Pick apart the wrong answer choices until you know exactly what they're wrong (and could teach them to someone else). On verbal, the key is really understanding why the wrong answers are wrong, so you can spot and eliminate them. Deconstruct the entire problem.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by axisymmetric » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:46 pm
I got a 710 on my last MGMAT test. I am taking no more tests - just revision !