GMAT in 10 days-- 8th Sep

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

GMAT in 10 days-- 8th Sep

by aakaps » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:55 pm
Well, my first post! I have prepared and referred to the Forum since last 1-1.5 months. I am taking an off on Sep3,4 and 5,6,7 are already off. So out of the next 10 days I am pretty much off for 7 days. I have been scoring from 670-700 in my last few tests. Analysed and focussed on my sentence correction, finished the manhattan gmat book in last 2 days, along with OG and Verbal review portion.

Any suggestions what I should do for the next 10 days? I plan to give a test tommorow to gaze at my 'new' score after my SC concentration! Would like to hear from the experts :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: GMAT in 10 days-- 8th Sep

by shahdevine » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 pm
aakaps wrote:Well, my first post! I have prepared and referred to the Forum since last 1-1.5 months. I am taking an off on Sep3,4 and 5,6,7 are already off. So out of the next 10 days I am pretty much off for 7 days. I have been scoring from 670-700 in my last few tests. Analysed and focussed on my sentence correction, finished the manhattan gmat book in last 2 days, along with OG and Verbal review portion.

Any suggestions what I should do for the next 10 days? I plan to give a test tommorow to gaze at my 'new' score after my SC concentration! Would like to hear from the experts :)
good luck taking same day as well.what aspects did you focus on for SC? i need to boost verbal.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by aakaps » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm
Well just went through the detailed works in Manhattan GMAT SC book!! Seems to be very good as they give practise examples to do from the OG. I have the OG and will be going through all of them, trying to understand the answers as well.

As someone here was pointing out that if you understand the SC flaws in official questions, you will see repeat kind of flaws!! Hope that helps! Best of luck to you too buddy :) Beat Itttt.....MJ style!!

by chetanojha » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:06 pm
aakaps wrote:Well just went through the detailed works in Manhattan GMAT SC book!! Seems to be very good as they give practise examples to do from the OG. I have the OG and will be going through all of them, trying to understand the answers as well.

As someone here was pointing out that if you understand the SC flaws in official questions, you will see repeat kind of flaws!! Hope that helps! Best of luck to you too buddy :) Beat Itttt.....MJ style!!
Once you are familiar with all the SC question type, start with reading answer first and try to identify how answers are different. For e.g. use of 'Have' in one answer choice and 'had' in another will indicate tense/verb agreement error etc. This will give you a rough idea of what kind of error you are looking it.
Also look for FANBOYS (For,And,Nor,But,Or,Yet,So) in the answer choices. If you see any of the FANBOYS, looks for parallelism,idio or comparison. Parallelishm/comparios and idioms constitute large part of OG.

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:13 am
good luck to both of you on your tests! The only thing I can add is - contrary to what most people might say - make sure you take a full length test the day before. It allowed me to master my timing, and it allowed me to prepare myself mentally for the next day.

During my last week, I took a CAT every other day, as well as a CAT 2 days before and another one 1 day before my test. If you have access to fresh CAT tests, I'd recommend this as well.

I do agree though with what other people have said in the past, which is not to study on the day of the test. Just take your time, get to the center early, try not to be too nervous (although being nervous is OK! just don't let it control you).

The Manhattan GMAT SC book is a great book in my opinion. I used it and it boosted my SC scores significantly.