GMAT 750. Now what? - Need help

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT 750. Now what? - Need help

by viraj_jain » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Hi,

I have a score of 750 on my GMAT. I understand that the schools use GMAT and GPA as a measure of academic strength in an application.

But the thing is, I don't know my GPA (on a scale of 4). My percentage score (I'm from India)is 67.9% in my undergrad.

Can someone please tell me what that translates to in GPA (scale of 4) if one is to apply to the schools in the US?

Thanks

Viraj

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 am
There is no direct conversion. A percentage of 4 probably is not the best. Talk to the admissions department of the schools you are applying to, this is likely your best option.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by viraj_jain » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Thanks Jim.

Can you also please help me with the evaluation of my profile. Been doing a lot of self-evaluation lately, you know, introspection but it would be great if you can help me with this.

Here goes.

GMAT - 750 (V44, Q49)

Undergrad degree - Bachelor of Engineering (Information technology) from Panjab University, Chandigarh(India). I am afraid the percentage score isn't impressive (67.9% overall).

Extra curricular in undergrad college -
Member of the Magazine committee
Member of Placement committee

First job - for about 2 years 10 months with Infosys (second biggest IT company in India) as a Systems Engineer and later as Senior Systems Engineer. Worked for a major client in the telecom area.

Second job - Well, it's not exactly a job. It's a 2-year fellowship with Teach For India (a non-profit working for the education of under privileged). It's a full time teaching job in a low income school, exactly like Teach For America.

It's just brief profile, and not sugar-coated. Please tell me if I can afford to be hopeful of getting in a top MBA program such as Haas' and what if i also need scholarship?

Will really appreciate if you can please evaluate the profile.

Thanks,
Viraj

by mayank.khare » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm
Any expert reply would be appreciable!!As lot of pupil would be struggling for this.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashim88 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:12 pm
I am probably missing this thread late and you probably missed the deadline for Fall 2012 at Haas, but my suggestion would be to give it a shot with your applications and do your best. MBA adcoms look at the entire package.

I got a 490 in my first GMAT, 510 on my second GMAT and thought I would get nowhere, being that I am 23 years old applicant. However, I was admitted into a top 30 MBA program due to my essays, recommendation letters, research interests, and leadership experience (even though it was only 2 years). They were impressed that I had founded a company at my age, and again, the other aspects of my application offset my low GMAT score.

Your 750 GMAT is a tremendous accomplishment, they already know you are ready for a top tier program. You just have to show that YOU, also know that you are ready. Complete your applications with conviction and full certainty that you know what you want from the program, and believe me you will get it.

I felt I had a long-shot at admission, but I gave it my best and was admitted. You never know until you try.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mourinhogmat1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:50 am
viraj_jain wrote:Hi,

I have a score of 750 on my GMAT. I understand that the schools use GMAT and GPA as a measure of academic strength in an application.

But the thing is, I don't know my GPA (on a scale of 4). My percentage score (I'm from India)is 67.9% in my undergrad.

Can someone please tell me what that translates to in GPA (scale of 4) if one is to apply to the schools in the US?

Thanks

Viraj
Great job!
Can you detail your scores on the practice tests? Also please tell me what your prep material was
? What you found useful and what you didn't find useful? I am looking to improve my verbal from a low 30s to mid or high 40s. Thanks.