Gmat 650 to 730 - Part one

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Gmat 650 to 730 - Part one

by sumithshah » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:48 am
Gave me GMAT for the 2nd (and last time) on the 14th. Results were almost as expected 730. Q49 V40. My first attempt was, on 27th August, a complete failure: 650 (Q47 V34)

I won’t ramble much on things that seem to be repeated on every success post - because I see no point in it. Everybody does the same stuff (MGMAT, KAPLAN, Sets, and GmatPrep). I'll give more attention to specific strategies which I used to help push my score from 500-650 and 650 to 730.

If someone gives you list of questions and guarantees that those questions would be on the real exam - what would you do? Mug them by heart - know the correct answer choices? Practice and re practice variations? Sadly, knowing what questions are on the exam is impossible [legally]. However, I can GURANTEE that the following things will be tested on the exam

i) Ability to focus for 3 hours at a stretch: Yea I know, you've heard this before. But what is important is have you done anything about it? Concentration levels don't jump up in a day.

So giving 4 tests in exam conditions and believing that to be your 'preparation' for the endurance level required to beat the GMAT is the reason why you probably won’t end up beating the test. I suggest that every time you study – ensure you do so in stretches of 225 minutes with no more than 10 minutes break every 75 minutes. By doing this, you are fine tuning your mind to work in the real exam environment.

Make sure you are in a ‘real’ environment and emulate all ‘real’ environment settings.
For example, if you are a smoker and smoke during your practice exams – this does no good. You CANNOT smoke during the GMAT exam (while you are answering questions). However, you can do during the breaks. If you are a chain smoker and need to smoke every twenty minutes – you are in trouble. Do your practice tests without smoking when you are answering questions. Get hold of Nicotine Chewing Gum / Slow release Nicotine Tablets. You can use it as ‘medication’ during the exam [Confirm this with your test center before the exam]

A bit more about ‘real’ environment settings and I promise to close this chapter. When talking about giving practice exams in real settings, we mean REAL settings. NOT close to real or as real as possible or as real as you think is best for you. This essentially means cell phones shut, IM windows shut, web browsing shut, no disturbances, music off, pausing of tests not allowed (even if you want to wish your girlfriend good night for a quick second and do not read the question prompt until you’ve resumed the test).

Pausing the test and doing something else for 5 minutes (even if it is not intended to gain more time for the test by reading the next question in paused more) is cheating on the practice exam. You are allowing your brain to go into a state that is different from the state that it would be allowed to go to during the real exam. This is bound to have an impact on your final score (negative or positive is debatable, but I would give my vote for positive). This is one of the reasons why some people see a 700+ on their practice exams and a lower score on the real one.

If you want your practice scores to mirror the real GMAT score – REAL ENVIORNMENT SETTING is what you want.

ii)Ability to beat Stress
The 1st time I appeared for the GMAT I had an interesting problem, which I was not prepared for. Stress. Any exam induces a certain degree of stress – but the fact that GMAT is so important in your life (else you won’t be reading this post) and that you want to get into Harvard (who doesn’t) makes this stress LOT more intense.

The 1st time I appeared for my exam – I was jittery. Couldn’t stop my hands from shaking. Felt weak on my knees. They had to scan my palm 2 times to get a print (because I was shaking so much). Had to read essay prompt 5 times before it actually went into my head. Spent 1 minute doing two digit multiplication and yet got it wrong. Stress does all this. For my second attempt, I did a few things that helped

a) Calculate your bare minimum achievement level and probability of obtaining it (I’ll get to this in the new few posts)
b) Once you stop studies for the exam – I suggest everyone to stop studying at least the night before or 4 hours before your exam – DO NOT THINK about the GMAT. Usually people try ‘remembering’ quant formulae, or CR tips and the like. Do not do this. Do something that completely refreshes your mind [Sleep for an hour or so if your exam is in the afternoon, watch TV].

My exam was at 3. I slept at 12am the night before, woke up at 9. Read through 2-3 essay templates and sample essays. Stopped studying at 11. Watched 2 episodes of Seinfeld. Had lunch, slept for an hour and then went to give the exam [again watched Seinfeld on the way to the test center]. When I was at the exam center, I certainly felt refreshed and stress levels were evidently low.

Phew! Long post. Thanks for reading. I'll be posting more in the next few posts, essentially covering :
a) SC TIPS
b) How I improved my 60-70% accuracy in RC/CR to a 85+
c) Quant - tips to move ahead faster.
d) How to deal with "2 questions left - 4 minutes left" problem. This doesn't seem like a real problem since on an average you have 2 mins per question. But I'm pretty sure ( and people who've given this exam once can support me on this ) - if you are faced with this situation on the real exam, you would end up messing at least one if not both the questions.

So long

Thanks
Sumit

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:50 am
Congrats and well done

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members

by logitech » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:58 am
your post is like one of those TV shows that end at the most exciting part...

To be continued...

COME ON MAN!! WE WANT THE PART II!!

By the way, congrats and thanks for the intel.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Congrats

by ankit1383 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:52 am
I thought of writing to you personally when i am through my second attempt for GMAT.
I need to thank you for your Manhattan Cat.....
Thanx man...you are awesome...n you truly deserve this....
waiting for your debrief........
how you improved on your verbal part and what were your practice score second time.....

by sumithshah » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 am
Part two :

This one is a bit short - since I wanted to also be of help to people whose tests are very close

This URL contains a link to a collection of questions ( mostly GMAT PREP ) that I fond to be VERY useful. Its a XLS and doc file containing questions and screen shots

https://rapidshare.com/files/164598439/beat.zip.html

This is on rapidshare ( and shall allow only 10 downloads) since my office has blocked assess to other hosting sites. I'll host it on some other place once I get home tonight.

Note : Look @ this after you are through with your attempts at the Gmat Prep. Seeing these questions before your last Gmat Prep would unrealistically boost your scores

Note to GMAC : I did not find any disclaimer indicating that bulk sharing of GMAT Prep questions is not allowed. Dont sue my A** is it is illegal. Instead just drop me a message and I'll be MORE than happy to remove the questions.

Note to other Gmat Companies : If any of the files attached violate your copy rights, drop me a mail. I'll be more than happy to remove it.

GMAT Score:660

by crazy4gmat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:18 am
congrats.. great score..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GG04 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:55 am
Hi Sumit,
congrats on ur score!! My test is on saturday..ur debrief is really helpful. can't wait to read the remaining parts!

Thanks,
Gayathri

by bacali » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:04 am
Hey sumithshah,

I find myself where you were...I just scored a 650 on GPrep with 4 weeks to go. What can I do to go up to 750?

I have yet to go through OG 11 and the guides. I'm almost done with OG 10.