GMAT 2014 Prep in Gurgaon - Prep classes/study group

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I am a working professional seeking to write GMAT in July '14 but I am not too confident of finding the write prep class which could help me to get 720+.

I have taken a demo class at both Veritas and Princeton and I am finding it hard to take a call and feel confident.

In case there is a private group/class which is not much heard of but has given good results I'll be more keen to join it.

Your kind help and suggestions required folks!

Many many thanks!

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by ThomasLHall » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 am
If you have a busy schedule and are self-motivated, then studying on your own can be a great alternative to a class, assuming you can acquire all the materials easily in India.

As far as which materials to use, a schedule to follow, and guidance on getting the most out of each prep hour, I recommend GMAT Clarity.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:27 pm
Hi mseeker,

Have you taken any full-length practice CATs? If you did, then what were your scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If not, then you should plan to take one soon (you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com). It's okay if you don't do great on that first practice CAT - it's meant to establish your natural ability and will help you to define the areas that you need to work on.

Your plan to take the GMAT in July is a good one; it gives you plenty of time to prepare. You've also done some research on the GMAT Companies, so you can get a sense of what they offer. I'd suggest that you continue researching and taking advantage of any free materials or trial accounts that are available. You should choose whichever option best fits your personality and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by mseeker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 pm
Thanks Rich and Thomas for your quick responses.

I did appear for GMAT back in Oct, 2011 with very callous and careless preparation and screwed it up with a score of 550 (Q31,V27). I just did it even though I hadn't even finished OG 12 or attempted more than the 2 official mock CATs.

However, now that I am extremely focussed with a goal of my graduate management program I have already started working on OG12 which I already have.

The reason I am contemplating a GMAT prep institute is to be focussed and be pushed hard to my limits where I attempt my mocks in straight marathon sessions.

I have recently done the diagnostics in OG12 start for Quant,Data sufficiency and CR which have put me in the above average category.

I am aiming 720+ to target 1 year MBA courses with top schools in India and abroad. Please suggest a plan as per my schedule below and if I should get some help from a prep school.

Target GMAT date : 2nd week July '14 (Planning to book the date by next week)
Working professional - working hours 08:00 to 18:00 (Most weekends free)
Occupation - IT professional/Software designer
Target score - 720+
Previous score (2011) - 550 (without any substantial preparation)

Many Thanks,
Shobhit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:48 pm
Hi Shobhit,

The last time that you took the GMAT, you took the OLD version of the Test. The new version has removed the second essay and replaced it with a section called Integrated Reasoning (which is a section of charts, graphs and multi-source reasoning). I suggest that you take a full-length practice CAT based on the current version of the GMAT (you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com). Once you have that score, you should report back here with your results. I'll be happy to offer some suggestions once we see your score breakdown.

Rich

by mseeker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 pm
Hello!

I just gave my first mock test and here is my score. I have enrolled with Veritas and I have attended just a few classes. I hope you can look at the score and advise.

Score Percentile Correct Completed
AWA N/A N/A N/A 1 / 1
IR 2 (of 8) 12% 42% 12 / 12
Quant 49 (of 60) 83% 76% 37 / 37
Verbal 35 (of 60) 74% 68% 41 / 41

Cheers!
Shobhit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:05 pm
Hi shobhit,

If your Scaled Scores are accurate, then you should have scored around a 670 or 680. If this is the case, then you appear to be in a good position. I'd suggest that you stick with your current schedule and plan. If you've enrolled in a class, then your instructor might have some advice for you.

Rich