Fresh graduate planning to apply

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Fresh graduate planning to apply

by raghu514 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 am
i am currently doing my graduation in australia. i want to apply to business school right after my graduation. can u tell me my if i have the chance of getting into top 5 mba schools in usa.

what gmat and gpa score will b reconmmended..(i am doin my graduatin. so i can increase my gpa. current gpa is 3.3)

i can work for my dads company for 2 years. but part time...

please let me know how to increase my chances for admission if i have anyy

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:45 pm
Dear raghu514,

Gaining admission to a top 5 in the US is difficult for any candidate, but especially difficult for candidates wishing to enter directly from undergraduate degree programs. Candidates with no professional work experience that gain admission generally have high GMAT scores (730+), high GPAs (>3.75/4.0), and exceptional leadership ability demonstrated in their backgrounds. This would be significant contributions through extracurriculars, work at a managerial level in a family business, and/or strong corporate internships. Additionally, these candidates are mature for their age, with realistic post-MBA expectations, and display an understanding of the rigors/requirements of business school.

If you believe you will fit this profile, then I think you should apply.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm
Just to add to what Lisa said, I think the difficulty stems from not having much data with which schools can evaluate you, rather than schools being biased against college seniors.

That being said, Lisa does a very good job quantifying the requirements for college seniors. Another elaboration, however: having a high GPA and high GMAT is important, in my opinion, not in that it will set you apart from the rest of the field. Rather, a lot of schools want young applicants who

1) can bring some added insight specifically into classroom interactions, since they are fresh from school (and having a high GPA/high GMAT may be a good indication that you are a serious participant in class)

2) would have been a good candidate for b-school later on, but because of their stellar profile and reluctance to wait may choose to go to law/med school now, and forgo b-school as a graduate school choice (again, those who would be considering the top law/med schools generally have very high academic scores)

Hope this helps!
Jason Teo
The Wharton School/ Lauder Institute (Chinese)
Wharton's Volunteer Admissions Committee & Early Careers Advisory Board