Freedom of Speech

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Freedom of Speech

by kajcha » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:19 pm
Please answer with explanation

The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the masses, and government cannot satisfy those wants unless it is informed about what those wants are. Freedom of speech ensures that such information will reach the ears of government officials. Therefore, freedom of speech is indispensable for a healthy state.
Which one of the following, if true, would NOT undermine the conclusion of the argument?
(A) People most often do not know what they genuinely want.
(B) Freedom of speech tends ultimately to undermine social order, and social order is a prerequisite for satisfying the wants of the masses.
(C) The proper function of government is not to satisfy wants, but to provide equality of opportunity.
(D) Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses: social order is necessary as well.
(E) Rulers already know what the people want.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 pm
I think it's D. But I'm not 100% sure - it came down to B or D. In any case, here's my logic....

Break down the statement:

Premise 1: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the masses
Premise 2: government cannot satisfy those wants unless it is informed about what those wants are
Premise 3: Freedom of speech ensures that such information will reach the ears of government officials
Conclusion: Therefore, freedom of speech is indispensable for a healthy state.

Which one of the following, if true, would NOT undermine the conclusion of the argument?
--> This is not a weaken question; you need to find the answer choice that either strengthens the argument or does absolutely nothing for the argument

(A) People most often do not know what they genuinely want
--> Weakens P2 and P3; people have no idea what they want so govt cannot find out and freedom of speech will be useless

(B) Freedom of speech tends ultimately to undermine social order, and social order is a prerequisite for satisfying the wants of the masses.
--> Weakens conclusion; Introduces new premise (social order satisfies wants)
--> if freedom of speech undermines social order and social order is required for satisfying the masses then freedom of speech undermines the goal of satisfying the masses, which is the goal of the state.

(C) The proper function of government is not to satisfy wants, but to provide equality of opportunity.
--> Weakens; counters P1, which is the crux of the argument because each subsequent premise works off P1. If P1 is countered, then the rest of the argument falls apart.

(D) Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses: social order is necessary as well.
--> Correct. Does not undermine the conclusion because the conclusion does not state that freedom of speech is sufficient.
--> The conclusion states, "Therefore, freedom of speech is indispensable for a healthy state." Reading carefully, the word "indispensable" means that freedom of speech is necessary (does not have to be sufficient). Introducing a new premise that is necessary does not undermine the conclusion.
--> Think of it this way: "hey having a wrench is great for fixing my car ...oh and having a car jack is also great for fixing my car" --> having another tool does not mean my wrench is not great.

(E) Rulers already know what the people want.
--> Weakens; if rulers know what people want then P3 is weaken:
Premise 3: Freedom of speech ensures that such information will reach the ears of government officials

What is the OA?

by kajcha » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:36 am
OA is D

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:54 am
kajcha wrote:OA is D
Sweet! I got it right!

by kajcha » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:17 am
Hi mayonnai5e, yeah your explanation is really good. I think I need to practice a lot to get these type of questions within 2 mins on real GMAT

Thanks a ton

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Eric77Gorm » Tue May 03, 2016 5:02 am
I would go with D as well.