FOUR TIME AND STILL NOT HOME FREE

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

FOUR TIME AND STILL NOT HOME FREE

by Brenpat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 am
Hello
I have beeon coming to this place for a long time. This is an excellent source. I thought that I will write my success story but I have failed... again. I have written the GMAT four time and still under 500. I have done every resources you can think but with no avail. May be my strategy is not right. I know when you have a young family and work, it is hard but I have seen people who have done well in the same situation. May be I am not meant for Busienss school. May be I should give up....

any thoughts?
BrenPat :(

Followed by:1 members

by Gokhra » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 am
I am no expert but here is my 2 cents. A low GMAT score doesn't mean that you are not meant for B-School or that you should give up. It just means you have a low GMAT scores. Maybe standardized testing is not your strong suit or maybe its something else. But b-school admissions is a holistic process in most cases and while you may be weak in one aspect, you could be really strong in another.

The GMAT and GPA are the only two quantitative measures we have of our candidacy to b-school. Hence we tend to focus too much on those. I think instead of spending more time (and $$) on taking the GMAT, you should focus on other aspects of your application such as your essays, story, ECs etc. Pick the right schools, have great essays and recommendations and you should have a good shot.

BTW, I am not an admissions consultant or expert, just another person applying to b-school this year. So take my advice in that spirit.

Good Luck!!

by Brenpat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:52 am
Thanks. It just makes me mad and sad. I would love to know what I am doing wrong. I have strong letters and my story is very strong. My GPA is 3.6 and I am focusing on JMSB in Montreal and HEC in Montreal. They will not take me until I get at least 580.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sl750 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:25 am
Bren

If you plan to take it again make sure you analyze your errors during practice. Keep a log of the type of errors you are making and if possible practice more of those type of questions. That will make a difference

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Have you considered using any training programs? If your schedule does not allow you to attend class-room training, you might want to try some online training. Have you checked mastergmat? Sign up for their free trial and see if that helps.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 pm
It appears that quant is not your strong area. Take a quant tutor and solve Jeff Sacksman 1800 problems. I am sure you would hit 600.