For the Disheartened & Disillusioned Test Takers

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
To the disheartened & disillusioned gmat test takers of the world. If your reading this I have a feeling you’re a lot like me and may have gone though something similar. I have been coming to the forum for close to 6 months. I come to this forum for a variety of reasons. To be inspired by the high scores posted, to read the “gameplans” of others and to attempt to solve the problems posted. These are just some of the reasons why I frequent the “Beat the GMAT” Forum. It’s an excellent forum and it’s the reason why I am writing this. I want to share my experience with prepping for the test and the disaster that unfolded.

To give a quick background – I started studying for the GMAT in June of 2008(I work full time as a commercial banker so I probably studied 15-20 hrs per week). The first thing I did was take a review prep class from the Local College. It was 8 hrs long every Saturday for a Month. It was a good starter class as it warmed me up to the GMAT test. I then bought several books (OG 11th edition, Kaplan, Mgmt Books etc) I went though each book did all the problems. I did the GMAT prep tests. I did several other practice tests. I felt like I had a good grasp of the Material. So I scheduled my test for September.

Test Day came and I didn’t feel too nervous. I went to the testing center and felt confident that I would score high. After all I had just studied more for this test than anything I have ever studied for. I felt ready and anxious to get going. First Up were the Essays…. I had no problem with these as I feel confident as a writer. (I scored a 5.5 on the test.) However, I had not practiced the essays in the practice tests I had completed. After the one hour was up I was more mentally drained than I had anticipated (this worried me as the meat and potatoes of the test were about to be served). Next up the Quant…

I started the quant off very strong (or at least I thought). Then the true horror of what was happening began to unfold. I glanced at the clock for the first time. 20 minutes had gone by and I had only finished 6 problems…This is about the time my brain short circuited. I went into a frenzy because I knew I was behind. I got though each question but had ZERO confidence that I had done well. This carried over to my Verbal. Although I did not have the timing problem that I had with the Quant – I was rattled and did not give my best performance in the verbal. The end result………………………..460 GMAT score!!!!!

After staring at the computer and then thinking of how I could sneak out of the testing center without anybody knowing how poorly I did I collected myself and picked up my printed results and headed for the exit. Dishearten and Disillusioned I went about my day thinking about how this could have happened. I went through the “what do I do now” thought process. Obviously a 460 won’t cut it…. Do I have the drive and desire to get much more serious about studying? Is B-school worth it? The answers to these questions were a resounding YES. However, they didn’t become a YES till a month later (this is when I emerged from self –pity mode).

So, here is where I am right now. I am currently studying to take my GMAT again. Its scheduled for February. The studying is going well. I have listed 3 major things that have helped me so far. (Maybe they will help you but its what’s working for me—so far). The reason I am wrote this is for the individual who really wants to go to a good b-school and feels the task might be a little overwhelming or too tough. You can read this forum and be a little intimated by the incredible accomplishments being posted!

3 things that are helping me!

1. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS time yourself when doing practice problems --- NO MATTER what!! I didn’t time myself very often and it showed up on the test. I thought I had a good handle on the timing I needed to do well but come test day this needs to be as automatic as breathing.

2. This may sound a little weird but try teaching the math and verbal concepts to somebody. I have an amazing wife who is now interested in taking the gmat so we take turns teaching each-other different strategies… You would be surprised how much you learn from teaching.

3. If you have failed put yourself into a boxers mentality. Boxers train for months on end for one single night. Sometimes they fail and sometimes they succeed. But regardless of the outcome the great ones always come back for their next fight stronger. When the daunting task of having to “re-study” for the test feels overwhelming go into “boxer” mode and realize that your “conditioning” your mind for your big test….The process is not forever but if you get determined and study your pants off then the reward will be worth it!

I wrote this is for the individual who really wants to go to a good b-school and feels the task might be a little overwhelming or too tough. I also wrote this to thank the people who show the rest of us what is possible with hard work.(Keep those great posts coming) And for the people who desire to score high (and fail ) don’t give up if it’s what you really want. You’re not alone in your quest!!!!

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 pm
Constant water drops can penetrate stone...We fail only when we give up. I am in the same boat with you my friend. And I am sure that I will get what I need to go to a business school but I am also learning more about myself during my studies.

Thank you very much for sharing your story with us.

Good luck!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sid1979 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm
great post man...Inspiring one....
Wish i had a wife like yours... :D At least a GF.