Experts Help!! Retake in 45 Days!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Experts Help!! Retake in 45 Days!!

by ubus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:40 am
Ok ... So I just took my test today and scored a 650 ( Q44/V35).

Needless to say I am very disappointed...In the run up to my official test I scored the following:

Q/V

MGMAT 45/36 - 670 IR 4
MGMAT 45/36 - 670 IR 4
GMAT Prep 1 48/38 700 IR 5 :-D
GMAT Prep 2 49/35 690 IR 4 :) The weekend before my test.
GMAT Prep 3 44/33 640 IR 7 :shock: :?: :? ( This was 2 days prior to my test...kinda shook me up )

Its quite a known fact that MGMAT Quant is a lot harder ... so I was super happy with my GMAT Prep 1 & 2 scores.
Prep 3 was a real shock.... I was hoping it was an aberration. :oops:

So looks like i ll have to apply for R2.

Retake Plan

With my present quant scores, I think my concepts/knowledge bit is almost there but I need to get some consistency in place.

Here's what I plan to do over the next 45 days.

Quant:
Plan: Use Topic wise Grockit Daily & Solve GMAT Club Quant Tests( I am told these tests are great ).
Review my weaker areas.

I seem to have plateaued at a 35/36. I ve used e-gmat, but I cant seem to get to a 38 or 40.
I am fairly comfortable with CR, however I ve not been able to get consistency for SC & RC.

So... Is my plan sound??

I d be happy to consider other suggestions!! Presently my brain is kinda frozen and I cant think of any other way to move forward

Is it realistic to expect to go from a 650 to at least 690 in 45 days??

Thank You

Sb

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 am
For understanding the way forward in SC you may choose to take a free demo class with Dr.Sushma Jha. She is reachable on [email protected]

Her skills on Verbal are commendable and majority of her students get a score 40 or above.

Also You need to focus on Quant more as you have more potential to improve your score by Verbal.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:15 am
Hi ubus,

First off, a 650/Q44 is a good score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall) and it might be enough to help you get into Business School (depending on the school's you're applying to and your overall application).

The "short" answer to your question is "YES" - 45 days is plenty of time to improve 40 points.

The "long" answer to your question requires some review of how you've prepared so far:

1) What resources have you been using to study?
2) How long have you studied?
3) When you took these practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (or did you skip the Essay and/or IR sections?)?

To improve in the Verbal section, you'll have to emphasize certain skills. For SCs, grammar knowledge is a must (you either know the rules or you don't), but pattern recognition also plays a big role. For RC, tactics are what really matter - handling passages in a consistent fashion, regardless of length or content, is what you should be looking to improve on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:720

by digvijayk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:59 am
You are really close to a great score.

As a rule, once you actually start scoring 730+ on gmatpreps, then you will achieve that high score you are looking for.

Focus on the official gmatprep tests for estimating your actual score & don't worry about repeated questions.

Focus on mgmat tests for an accurate assessment of areas of improvement. But not for score estimation.

All the Best :)
Follow my blog at: https://gmat0.blocked/

No business could ever survive without strategy, so how can your test preparation? Get your strategy in place today. Go to:

https://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Improve-Dras ... 00A7CTV1A/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am
Is it realistic to expect to go from a 650 to at least 690 in 45 days??
Well the disappointing answer is no. It's not realistic to expect anything on the GMAT. It's certainly possible to see that kind of improvement, but only if you dramatically change your process.

You mention that you haven't seen consistency in RC and SC. That indicates that you're probably just relying on your ear and common sense - that's not enough for the GMAT! On SC, you need to know the rules of English grammar very thoroughly, and be familiar with the structures that the GMAT tests. On RC, you need to approach each question like a lawyer! Would that answer hold up in court?

You first need to deeply analyze the CATs you've taken - right answers as well as wrong answers - to determine where there are flaws in your technique. Then set about improving those skills by practicing with strategy guides, then with timed sets from the OG.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education