Except for

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Except for

by satishchandra » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 am
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

a. Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.
b. Except for needing to take one class in history and one in biology, the student has fulfilled all of his requirements for graduation.
c. The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.
d. Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.
e. Aside from the history class and biology class that he needs to take, the student's graduation requirements have all been fulfilled.

As per Kaplan 800, There is some differece in meaning between C and D
Can some one please explain how different meaning is conveyed?

Statement1: The student has fulfilled all his requirements
Statement2: The student has fulfilled all of his requirements
What is the difference in the above two sentences?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by na123 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:25 am
whats the OA

Followed by:1 members

by chufus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 am
We don't know if the student is "his" or "her". D uses his explicitly, hence changing the original intent of the sentence. Come to think of it there is nothing wrong with the original sentence. All the 4 options from "B" to "E" use "he" or "his" and are gender specific. The only option that is not gender specific is A and there isn't much wrong with A, so i think the original answer should be "A"

Whats the OA?

by satishchandra » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 am
na123 wrote:whats the OA
[spoiler]OA: D[/spoiler]
chufus wrote:We don't know if the student is "his" or "her". D uses his explicitly, hence changing the original intent of the sentence. Come to think of it there is nothing wrong with the original sentence. All the 4 options from "B" to "E" use "he" or "his" and are gender specific. The only option that is not gender specific is A and there isn't much wrong with A, so i think the original answer should be "A"
As per your logic, your answer should be [spoiler]'A'[/spoiler]. why [spoiler]'C'[/spoiler]. ? Even [spoiler]'C'[/spoiler] has the same 'his' 'her' issue :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 am
Some expert please help on this one.

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650+

by mskgmat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:35 am
a. Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.
wrong modifier .
b. Except for needing to take one class in history and one in biology, the student has fulfilled all of his requirements for graduation.
Nothing wrong but wordy No modifier error here.
c. The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.
Wrong place of modifier .
d. Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.
Gramatically correct and stylisly correct one
e. Aside from the history class and biology class that he needs to take, the student's graduation requirements have all been fulfilled.
Wrong modifier. I think you can easily grasp it. Comma has to be followed by student

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm
satishchandra wrote:Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

I received a PM asking me explain the difference between C and D.

It could be argued that the beginning of C is misleading, implying that the student has fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements. Only after reading the modifier at the end -- except for one class -- do we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements.

By placing the EXCEPTION upfront, D avoids any confusion. Right from the beginning, we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jumsumtak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
satishchandra wrote:Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

The beginning of C is misleading, implying that the student has fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements. Only after reading the modifier at the end -- except for one class -- do we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements. This ordering of ideas creates confusion.

By placing the EXCEPTION upfront, D avoids this confusion. Right from the beginning, we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements.
@Mitch:
is A grammatically correct? "have been.." is wordy and passive but is the modifier correctly placed?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650+

by mskgmat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 am
jumsumtak wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The beginning of C is misleading, implying that the student has fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements. Only after reading the modifier at the end -- except for one class -- do we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements. This ordering of ideas creates confusion.

By placing the EXCEPTION upfront, D avoids this confusion. Right from the beginning, we understand that the student hasn't quite fulfilled ALL of his graduation requirements.
@Mitch:
is A grammatically correct? "have been.." is wordy and passive but is the modifier correctly placed?
No. A is not grammatically correct.