Examples in essays

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

Examples in essays

by sunilrawat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:10 am
In the argument and issue essays, we are asked to support our position using reasons/examples from our experience, observations etc.
My question is that do we have to present authentic examples?
For example, say the arguments is about some ill effect of TV violence on teenagers. Can we cite a hypothetical scientific study as an example in which some X and Y children were monitored and their behaviour was recorded?
Or if we are talking about an automobile firm, can we cite some hypothetical sales and profit figures of some company, say Trinity.
Are examples of this kind acceptable? I am asking this because the topics of AWAs are so vast that I find it difficult to think of genuine examples.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm
Can we cite a hypothetical scientific study as an example in which some X and Y children were monitored and their behaviour was recorded?
Sure you can, but be careful about the data to look plausible. But why you want to provide a data which is hypothetical. Dont give a data which might create a doubt.

As I said, you can cook figures but what is the need. You can make it look believable anyways.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by sunilrawat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:13 pm
throughmba wrote:
Can we cite a hypothetical scientific study as an example in which some X and Y children were monitored and their behaviour was recorded?
But why you want to provide a data which is hypothetical. Dont give a data which might create a doubt.
By hypothetical I meant any cooked up data. Of course I wont't put anything implausible.
Anyways, I got the point. Thanks.:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:01 pm
Most of the things which we write are not checked except its an application essay, so you can always.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."