Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Evaluation

by akbrahma » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 am
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know which Schools I should target

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

a) By Sept 2012, I will be having a work Experience of around 50 months (4y+)
b) I am working in an Engineering and Construction Company. I have worked for over 2 years at Delhi Airport Project in the Division which was responsible for Construction of Runway and Associate Works valued at over INR 20 Billion.
c) Primary Responsibilities included Procurement of Materials, Sub Contractor Management and Contract Administering
d) I was involved in Business Development for my Previous Company for over an year in Highway Projects and involved in all aspects related to Project Cost Estimations
e) Currently, I am involved in the Project Management Team based in Head Office for a INR 15,000 Million Road Project. I am primarily responsible for all issues related to Project Cost Estimation and Quantification of the Works involved.

2) Your GMAT.
I am yet to give my GMAT. My score in the 2 Mocks Tests of GMAC was 740 and 750 (Q-49, V-42). I am expecting a score in the same range.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
College: NIT Hamirpur
Major: Civil Engineering
GPA: 7.95 on a scale of 10.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
a) Currently Volunteering with South Asia Foundation wherein I am assisting a group of people in an Urban Village in obtaining Credit facilities from Banks and forming Self Help Groups.
b) Highly Involved in College Alumni Affairs
c) Held Various Responsibilities in College in organisation of College Level Fests and events during the entire tenure of the College
d) Elected Placement Coordinator for my Department.
e) Member of a Photography Club and have been involved in organization of Photo walks across the City
f) Tutored 2 Poor Kids in 2009-2010 for their High School Exams

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
None

6) Your target programs.
I am highly interested in moving to Management Consultancy post MBA and prefer to apply to schools where the Big Consultant recruit.

7) Your post-MBA goal.
Interested in Moving to Management Consultancy. In case I fail to get a job at any of the big firm, I will try for General Management Post MBA

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am
Hi,

Thanks for your post. You appear to have a solid profile (assuming you score 740+ as anticipated on the GMAT. The biggest challenge for you will be to stand out in the applicant pool.

Your work experience, while solid, isn't enough to distinguish your profile from others in the applicant pool. The good news is that you have a suitable list of extracurricular activities. Hopefully you can leverage your experience in these activities to use as examples in your essays. Writing about leadership and teamwork experiences that take place outside of the office is often a surefire way to stand out in the pool.

I strongly suggest you apply to 4-6 programs with a mix of schools in the top 15-20. Casting a wide net - so to speak with help ensure that you do gain admission to a program. Lastly, I suggest you take the GMAT as soon as possible so that you can begin working on your applications and apply in round 1.

Best of luck,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by akbrahma » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 am
Dear Stacy,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will be appearing for my GMAT on 18th Aug and shall try my best to apply to schools by R1 itself.

Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 pm
Good luck to you!

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.