EMBA chances at Kellogg or Wharton

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

EMBA chances at Kellogg or Wharton

by sandrew03 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 am
Hello

I am looking for some advice, specifically if my general profile would be a good fit for an EMBA.
I am 36, president of a commercial real estate company with 60 employees and looking seriously at Kellogg's EMBA Miami program or the Wharton East EMBA program.
Had a bit of an unusual career path: spent 11 years in GE; the first Australian on GE's highly regarded Financial Management Program; one of the first Australians on Corporate Audit Staff(from which most of GE Leadership has graduated); Six Sigma certified black belt and was on the fast track GE management route until leaving in 2008 for a private equity firm on the east coast which folded 7 months after we started due to economic crisis. Worked in 7 countries with GE in many different businessesand have nothing but good things to say about the experience.

Undergrad in Australia with Bachelor of Business in Accounting ... did well but not sure how grade would compare to US as we don't have GPA system.

Currently work for private real estate company looking to take their platform (of which I am president) to the next level and an executive MBA would be a good fit with that goal.
My responsibilities include complete operations and financial management responsibilities for the company (7 direct reports), quarterly board of directors' meetings and analysis of acquisition and other strategic opportunities. I have had positions of increasing responsibility over the past 10 years with my last 2 roles (including current) being senior management involved with running businesses.

Outside of work, I have a young family I like to spend time with. I very much enjoy golf, hiking and overseas travel although i dont do enough of any of these at the moment.

I havent yet taken GMAT although I have been working my way through online problems and coaching sessions. Guessing GMAT somewhere in the 650 to 675 range.

Inclined to favor the Kellogg Miami program due to strong emphasis on teamwork and fact that I am in Florida every month and the program is a once a month format instead of the typical 2x month format. Wharton east EMBA would be #2 choice based on my mid-atlantic location. Highly likely I will get my board to financially support me.

Any thoughts on whether i would be a good fit and successful if applied for both programs. Also interested if, in your view, the programs are generally viewed equally by students and/or business community.

Many thanks for your advice.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:10 pm
Hi -

Based on your experience and the support from your board, it seems to me as though you would be a good fit for these EMBA programs. It will be important to communicate that support (not only the financial support) but that your team believes you are more than capable of handling both your job and school workloads.

As it relates to these programs, both Wharton and Kellogg have highly regarded EMBA programs. I don't feel that I would be in a good position to compare these two locations specifically, but I would urge you to think about what would be best/easiest for you given that you will be juggling quite a bit!

Regards,
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter