Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Dutch Economy

by anant03 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:42 am

Experts please explain.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 pm
For the last five years the Dutch economy has grown faster than Britain, France, or Germany, with the unemployment rate having remained well below that of the other three countries.
Finding the right answer to this question requires finding rhetorical construction issues that affect the meaning conveyed. You barely need to know any grammar rules in order to hack your way to the correct choice.
A. Britain, France, or Germany, with the unemployment rate having remained
Using this answer choice creates a sentence that says that the Dutch economy has grown faster than Britain, France or Germany. Britain, France and Germany are growing? In what sense? I think the comparison is meant to be between the Dutch economy and the economies of the other countries. So I guess this one can be eliminated.
B. have those of Britain, France, or Germany, and the unemployment rate remaining
This choice has an actual grammar issue in that those of does not work with Britain, France, or Germany. A list using the word or gives one a choice between single elements. So to match a single element, we need that of rather than those of.

There is also a parallelism issue. We have the Dutch economy has grown in a non parallel list with the unemployment rate remaining.
C. have Britain, France, and Germany, and the unemployment rate has remained
Once again this compares the growth of the Dutch economy with the growth of countries, whatever that means.

Also, it's not clear whose unemployment rate the unemployment rate is.
D. the economy of Britain, France, and Germany, with the unemployment rate that has remained
Well this one does compare the Dutch economy to another economy, but now that other economy is the economy of Britain, France and Germany, as if the three share one economy.

Also, the use of the expression the unemployment rate that has remained conveys that the Dutch economy has a particular employment rate, the one that has remained well below that of the other three countries. I don't believe that that is what is meant to be conveyed here.

Also, the expression with the unemployment rate could be seen as conveying that the Dutch economy has grown with the unemployment rate, a meaning that does not really make sense.
E. the economies of Britain, France, and Germany, and the unemployment rate has remained
This one is not perfect. It still says "the unemployment rate", which to me could mean any unemployment rate. Still, the sentence created using this choice does effectively convey that the Dutch economy has grown faster than the other economies, and there are no grammatical issues, and so this choice is better than any of the others. Also given the context I guess one can infer that the unemployment rate is the Dutch unemployment rate, though I would prefer that the sentence actually say that.

So imperfect as it may be, E is the best answer.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anant03 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 am
E. the economies of Britain, France, and Germany, and the unemployment rate has remained
This one is not perfect. It still says "the unemployment rate", which to me could mean any unemployment rate. Still, the sentence created using this choice does effectively convey that the Dutch economy has grown faster than the other economies, and there are no grammatical issues, and so this choice is better than any of the others. Also given the context I guess one can infer that the unemployment rate is the Dutch unemployment rate, though I would prefer that the sentence actually say that.

So imperfect as it may be, E is the best answer.
Hi Marty,

Just quick question, why economies , why not economy?

Please advise.[/quote]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:29 pm
anant03 wrote:
Hi Marty,

Just quick question, why economies , why not economy?

Please advise.
The sentence is discussing not one economy, but rather multiple economies - the economy of Britain, the economy of France, and the economy of Germany. That list of economies can also be expressed in this way - the economies of Britain, France, and Germany.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 am
For the last five years the Dutch economy has grown faster than Britain, France, or Germany, with the unemployment rate having remained well below that of the other three countries.

B. have those of Britain, France, or Germany, and the unemployment rate remaining

D. the economy of Britain, France, and Germany, with the unemployment rate that has remained

Only LIKE THINGS can be compared.
A: the Dutch economy has grown faster than Britain, France and Germany
C: the Dutch economy has grown faster than have Britain, France and Germany
In these options, an ECONOMY (the Dutch economy) is illogically compared to COUNTRIES (Britain, France and Germany).
Eliminate A and C.

In B, those lacks a plural antecedent.
Eliminate B.

D: the economy of Britain, France, and Germany
This wording implies that three DIFFERENT COUNTRIES all have the SAME ECONOMY.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Only LIKE THINGS can be compared.
A: the Dutch economy has grown faster than Britain, France and Germany
C: the Dutch economy has grown faster than have Britain, France and Germany
In these options, an ECONOMY (the Dutch economy) is illogically compared to COUNTRIES (Britain, France and Germany).
Eliminate A and C.

In B, those lacks a plural antecedent.
Eliminate B.

D: the economy of Britain, France, and Germany
This wording implies that three DIFFERENT COUNTRIES all have the SAME ECONOMY.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Hi Guru,

I agree with E,however one doubt in E. Doesn't "economies" referred to combined economy of Britain, France, and Germany?

Thanks
Nandish