MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

Duke MMS: starting from scratch for May '12 deadline!

This topic has 1 expert reply and 0 member replies
hopes33 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages

Duke MMS: starting from scratch for May '12 deadline!

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:48 am
Hi there,

Thank you so much for generously offering to look at our questions! I have several on my hands, so I understand if you can't get to them all. Basically; I just found out about Duke's MMS (and this kind of degree in general, at LSE and LBS), and want to apply for May. My main aim is to get an idea of what options are out there, what I'm interested in, and most of all, a decent paying job afterwards in the private sector. I'm basically wondering: should I apply, what are the costs/benefits, and how to best tackle to app and GMAT from scratch in 3 months.

Here's my profile, as background: Ivy '09, French major, 3.46, less than a year of work experience and internship + international teaching program the rest of the time (less prestigious than the Fulbright). I've also taken post-bac courses in econ.

1) I'm 25, and need solid work experience and want to transition into the private sector (my internships + work, both in and out of college, were in non-profit). I'm keen on learning more about marketing, branding, and even exploring consulting, but am not sure where to start, and feel I kind of missed the boat on the whole 'business' thing (no one in my family's into this either). If I apply next year, I may have a better shot, but will I be too old for these types of programs?

2) If I didn't get in or choose to do this type of program, how could I transition into the above fields? (For consulting, is there any hope left?)

3) If I DO apply now, how should I go about focusing time/energy on studying for the GMAT for the first time AND doing my apps? I work 50 hrs/wk in my teaching assistantship but have the option of cutting that down to 35 for the next 6 at the hands of a ridiculous pay cut (forced to eat ramen, that kind of thing). Worth it?

4) My chances at Duke, LBS, LSE?

5) Should I consider lower tier Masters in Management programs like at Wake Forest?

6) Anyone heard of acceptance rates for Duke, LBS, or LSE Masters (not MBA)? Thank you!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Top Reply
Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 am
Let's give em all a shot then!

1) Nah! You won;t be too old. Also, not having too much business experience can be fine, as long as you have done wonderful things in your non-profit work
2) Sure! For consulting, maybe focus on "non profit" consulting to give yourself an edge (or perhaps educational consulting). By somewhat sticking to an industry you know, your expertise will become more valuable and this might help you transition.
3) Well, you got to do it SOMETIME! Worth it? I think so. Start first with the GMAT and make sure you have that in the bag. Worst comes to worst, you delay by one year
4) Depends on your GMAT but 3.5 + Ivy league + non profit is a good start. If you add aGMAt of 700+ to the mix, you can apply anywhere
5) Why?
6) LSE - From Wikipedia - he applications success rate for postgraduate programmes varies, although most of the major courses, including Economics and Law, consistently have an acceptance rate below 10%.[47] Some of the very top premium programmes such as the MSc Finance and Economics and the MSc Financial Mathematics have admission rates below 5%.[48][49] (PS you didn't write WHICH masters!)

Smile

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 68 topics
3 swerve 65 topics
4 ardz24 65 topics
5 Roland2rule 64 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

198 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

181 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

134 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

119 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts