Drug Abuse Warning Network

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Drug Abuse Warning Network

by RishiChaturvedi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 am
Hey guys

I am new to this forum. Request your help on this one.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse Warning Network reported an increase both in the number of admissions to hospital emergency rooms nationwide that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures used in rehabilitation clinics.

A. reported an increase both in the number of admissions to hospital emergency rooms nationwide that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures used in rehabilitation clinics.
B. reported both an increase in the number of admissions to hospital emergency rooms nationwide that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures
C. reported an increase both in the number of admissions to hospital emergency rooms nationwide that involved drug abuse and procedures that changed
D. reported an increase both in the numbers of admissions to hospital emergency rooms nationwide that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures
E. reported both an increase in the number of admissions to emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures

thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Guess

by EMAN » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:54 am
Is it C? This is the only one that seemed to make sense with an increase...in procedures that changed. An increase with 'a change of procedures,' doesn't make sense. It doesn't say increase 'in a change in procedures.'

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 am
Should be E

by RishiChaturvedi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 am
Its B

In fact my pick was also E, because of the position of "both". What I am unable to understand here is why "hospital emergency rooms nationwide" is correct and "emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals" is not.

Re: Guess

by RishiChaturvedi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am
EMAN wrote:Is it C? This is the only one that seemed to make sense with an increase...in procedures that changed. An increase with 'a change of procedures,' doesn't make sense. It doesn't say increase 'in a change in procedures.'
The original sentence is talking about increase in number of admissions to the hospital and a change in procedures .

by hmboy17 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am
B is correct, E uses passive voice
reported both an increase in the number of admissions to emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals that involved drug abuse and a change in procedures .
B uses a correct comparion using BOTH.
Report both an Increase........ and a change.........

Just to clarify A uses
Both in the number of admissions..... AND a change in procedures
Hope this helps

by RishiChaturvedi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:27 am
Hey thx!

will you plz describe passive/active stuff a bit, I am not so good in that part.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by eustudent » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 am
i also picked E.
I narrowed down my choice to B and E, but then I failed picking the right answer.

It just sounded weird "hospital emergency rooms nationwide"
as opposed to the "to emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals"

The latter just seems to be employing more correct gramar.

Can you, please explain the difference in the usage and meaning of these two?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by geemat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:07 am
E is changing meaning a little

"hospital emergency rooms nationwide" : means that in all types of hospitals, emergency rooms are being occupied nationwide

"emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals": means emergency room of only nation wide (large national level) hospitals

Hope, I am able to explain the meaning change :)

by bharathh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 am
It has to be B :)

emergency rooms of nationwide hospitals sounds like the hospital stretches across the nation.

Eliminated A, C and D because of the location of the word both.