Dr.Wade

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Dr.Wade

by vikram4689 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm
If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental.

A) If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of
B) Should Dr. Wade be right, any apparent connection of eating
C) IF Dr. Wade is right, any connection that is apparent between eating of
D) If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between eating
E) Should Dr.Wade have been right, any connection apparent between eating

OA:D, OG says that 'excelling' is a participle but i think it is a gerund..
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 pm
A gerund is a verbal that acts as a noun and ends with "ing".

A participle is a verbal that acts as an adjective and ends with either "ing" or "ed".

Here I think that excelling is being used as an adjective and not as a noun. So I think OG is correct in this case.

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 pm
Birottam Dutta wrote:A gerund is a verbal that acts as a noun and ends with "ing".

A participle is a verbal that acts as an adjective and ends with either "ing" or "ed".

Here I think that excelling is being used as an adjective and not as a noun. So I think OG is correct in this case.

Hope this helps!
if excelling is adjective then what is the noun that it modifies. Sports cannot be noun because that is object of preposition and noun would be subject of prepositional phrase - at sports
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pallav.gmat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 am
vikram4689 wrote:
Birottam Dutta wrote:A gerund is a verbal that acts as a noun and ends with "ing".

Hope this helps!
if excelling is adjective then what is the noun that it modifies. Sports cannot be noun because that is object of preposition and noun would be subject of prepositional phrase - at sports

Both Eating an Excelling are gerunds. However, 'the eating of highly ..' is a complex gerund phrase (notice the article 'the'). on the other hand , 'excelling at sports' is a simple gerund phrase (which can be used as a participle in some other sentence, such as - Ram is excelling at sports ).