doubt SC 2

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Guru
aditya8062's altered version of B:
In contrast to SOME FISH WHOSE EGGS REQUIRE MONTHS TO INCUBATE, THE SILVERY MINNOW produces eggs that hatch in 24 hours.
Here, the implication is that the silvery minnow is a FISH WHOSE EGGS REQUIRE MONTHS TO INCUBATE.
Conveyed meaning:
While SOME FISH WHOSE EGGS REQUIRE MONTHS TO INCUBATE do not produce eggs that hatch in 24 hours, the silvery minnow -- which is also a FISH WHOSE EGGS REQUIRE MONTHS TO INCUBATE -- DOES produce eggs that hatch in 24 hours.
Not the intended meaning.
if i apply the above reasoning to the following OA : In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills--a type of steel plant that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills-- , by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain ------------> i feel that if i apply this reasoning to the above OA then parts in blue and red are giving a opposite meaning . i mean then we seems to imply that "small mills" use both "iron ore" AND "steel scrap" ( in fact the portion in red and blue are VERY OPPOSING process employed by "large mills" AND "small mills" respectively) . how is this possible?

Thanks and regards
The sentences in my post above all begin as follows:
In contrast to SOME X's, Y...
The key word here is some.
Generally, in contrast to SOME serves to express a contrast between members of the SAME GROUP.
In contrast to SOME fish whose eggs require months to incubate, the silvery minnow produces eggs that hatch in 24 hours.
Here, the implication of SOME is that the two things being contrasted -- SOME fish and the silvery minnow -- belong to the SAME GROUP (fish whose eggs require months to incubate).

In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills...
The introduction here does not include some.
Thus, there is no implication that the two things being contrasted -- large steel plants and small mills -- belong to the same group.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:32 pm
Hello Mitch, Is C also wrong because of the same reason?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:59 am
aflaam wrote:Hello Mitch, Is C also wrong because of the same reason?
Yes.
C: In contrast to SOME FISH THAT HAVE EGGS REQUIRING MONTHS TO INCUBATE, THE SILVERY MINNOW produces eggs that hatch in 24 hours.
Here, the implication is that the silvery minnow is a FISH THAT HAS EGGS REQUIRING MONTHS TO INCUBATE.
Conveyed meaning:
While SOME FISH THAT HAVE EGGS REQUIRING MONTHS TO INCUBATE do not produce eggs that hatch in 24 hours, the silvery minnow -- which is also a FISH THAT HAS EGGS REQUIRING MONTHS TO INCUBATE -- DOES produce eggs that hatch in 24 hours.
Not the intended meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3