Don't go to Business School - Seth Godin's Alternative MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Has anyone heard of Seth Godin's new alternative MBA? He went to Stanford for his MBA, but has been outspoken about what's wrong with most MBA programs today. It sounds like a good opportunity....what do you all think? These is a summary:

Instead of going to business school, consider spending 6 intense months with Seth Godin and a few other amazing people.

This is not an internship and you don't get paid. This is a highly selective MBA-Like experience where you get a solid education and great experience. Here's what a typical day will look like:

One hour a day of class/dialogue
Four hours a day of working on Seth Godin's projects
Three hours a day of working on your personal project
Five hours a day of living, noticing, doing and connecting

If you're anything like me, then you've probably considered going to business school. AND, after countless hours of browsing the top MBA programs you've wondered two things. First, do you have a shot at getting in? And second, is it really worth $100,000+ and two years of your life.

After all, a quick glance at the Forbes list of the world's richest people reveals that few have MBA's. More importantly, when you consider all of the people who have been world changers, only a handful went to
business school.

So, what's an ambitious 20-something to do?

How does spending 6 intense months with Seth Godin and a few other amazing people sound?

If this sounds like your next right step, then I want to encourage you to apply. You can get all the details here:

https://www.squidoo.com/Alternative-MBA

And there is a facebook group to connect folks interested in applying here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 029&ref=mf
Oh, and did I mention there is NO GMAT requirement!! Too bad I didn't know this after countless hours on these forums and countless more hours studying and taking the GMAT (twice I might add). Hopefully this is the right opportunity for some of you in here.

What do you think? Is this legit?

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 am
Totally legit and Seth's a pretty well respected guy. He's got a great background (Google him :D ) and his ideas are very interesting, if somewhat a little radical.

6months of no pay only "work/education"

I'd go if i got in :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rnschmidt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 pm
Do you think this could be a full on replacement for an MBA? Or perhaps another stepping stone to the top programs?

It seems like it will do a lot for you in the circles that know and appreciate Seth Godin. But, would this be good for anything outside of marketing?

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:05 pm
rnschmidt wrote:Do you think this could be a full on replacement for an MBA? Or perhaps another stepping stone to the top programs?

It seems like it will do a lot for you in the circles that know and appreciate Seth Godin. But, would this be good for anything outside of marketing?
Entirely upto you i guess. Seth looks to empower people, open their eyes and see things a little more differently/practically. Seth's an entrepreneur as well so there could be take-aways/learnings that would really benefit you.

There are a lot of advantages to an MBA that cannot be over-looked. But a hands-on approach Seth Godin style could change your life. Or maybe not.

At the end of the day, its what you make of the opportunities that come your way that affect your life. Seth's program is the shortest of them all. As will all entrepreneurial ventures, its your risk :)