Dogging the quantitative

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Dogging the quantitative

by obrienjb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:15 pm
Greetings,

Just took my second GMAT exam and once again I screwed up the quant portion. Quick history: I took the exam last February and got a 640 with a 51th percentile quant and 87th percentile verbal. This past exam, I studied verbal for about an hour and put all of my time into quant using the MGMAT books. I ended up with a 650 with a 41st (!) percentile quant and 97th percentile verbal. I

was going to apply R1 to schools but at this point I need to get my quant up. I think the best way to do that is to just bite the bullet and take a class. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 pm
did you track the types of errors you were making in quant while you were studying?
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

by obrienjb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:23 am
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tracked my errors but as you can imagine they were fairly numerous. I feel like I know the material but I get tripped up on the questions. Any recommendations on a tutor vs a class that solely focuses on quant? It's entirely possible that I'm just a simpleton.
:)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:45 am
hi obrienjb,

I've actually heard pretty good reviews about manhattan and kaplan classes. Both companies have locations in most cities, and so probably offer a class in your area.

I find that the mesh between the tutor's teaching approach and students learning approach actually has a pretty big effect on score improvement. I believe both companies offer a free class audit. You should sit in through a couple of different classes with different instructors and find what works best for you.

:D
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

by obrienjb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 pm
That makes sense. I could swing the tutoring but I'm thinking I may use that in conjunction with a quantitative only class to cut down on the hours a bit. Do you recommend any particular class that only focuses on quant? I've been in touch with Manhattan and they have you sign up for the full class, split the cost, and have you attend the quant sessions only. I'm wondering if I should just sign up for a calculus class at this point.