Do I have a right approach

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Do I have a right approach

by anksm22 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:57 am
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

I want to know if my approach is right?

A and D ----> America's facination is singular . So have grown a market is wrong.
C and E ----> bring is plural , but it is refering to singular market
and because of has grown , we will use bringing rather than bring

so B is correct

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:36 am
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

I want to know if my approach is right?

A and D ----> America's facination is singular . So have grown a market is wrong.
A and D are incorrect, but your analysis is problematic. The object of a prepositional phrase cannot also be the subject of the clause's main verb. Consider a simple sentence: "Under the desk are the pencils I dropped." The sentence begins with a prepositional phrase in which "desk" is the object. The subject, "Pencils," comes after the main verb "are." The sentence could easily have been written "The pencils I dropped are under the desk."

Same situation here: "Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market..." "America's fascination" is the object of a prepositional phrase. The subject, which comes after the verb, is "a market." The clause could be rewritten as follows, "A market have grown out of America's fascination with all things antique." So "have" is incorrect, but it's incorrect because it doesn't agree with the subject, "a market."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by anksm22 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 am
Thank you . I got where I was wrong ...:)

And how do we select between is bringing/ brings (i know it is not present , but just asking to clear my concepts).

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yashvardhan90 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 am
The action is ongoing as the sentence is in present perfect tense "has grown", so "bringing" is the correct form rather than "brings".

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am
B - things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
B states that Market is bringing the stuff back. B is correct.

C - things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
C - states that Furnitue and fixtures bring the stuff back. This is nonsensical.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:39 am
kutlee wrote:B - things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
B states that Market is bringing the stuff back. B is correct.

C - things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
C - states that Furnitue and fixtures bring the stuff back. This is nonsensical.
Perfect!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:39 am
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

This is a tricky question because the subject appears AFTER the verb.
The primary verb phrase is has/have grown.
Who/what has grown? The market (for antiques) has
So, market is the SUBJECT.
Since market is singular, we need the singular verb phrase has grown
This means we can ELIMINATE A and D

At this point, we can ignore some of the "fluff" to help us identify the correct answer.
Notice that for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures is a prepositional phrase that modifies the subject market. So, let's ignore it as we check the remaining answer choices.

B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
Looks good, the singular subject, market, is paired with the singular verb phrase is bringing

C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
No good, the singular subject, market, is paired with the plural verb bring
ELIMINATE C

E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
ELIMINATE E

The correct answer is B

By the way, we have a free video on ignoring the "fluff" in sentences: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1158

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

by sandipgumtya » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

This is a tricky question because the subject appears AFTER the verb.
The primary verb phrase is has/have grown.
Who/what has grown? The market (for antiques) has
So, market is the SUBJECT.
Since market is singular, we need the singular verb phrase has grown
This means we can ELIMINATE A and D

At this point, we can ignore some of the "fluff" to help us identify the correct answer.
Notice that for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures is a prepositional phrase that modifies the subject market. So, let's ignore it as we check the remaining answer choices.

B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
Looks good, the singular subject, market, is paired with the singular verb phrase is bringing

C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
ELIMINATE C

E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
ELIMINATE E

The correct answer is C

By the way, we have a free video on ignoring the "fluff" in sentences: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1158

The correct ans is B..But your spoiler shows C.

Sandip.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 am
Good catch - thanks!
I've edited that.

Cheers,
Brent