Do any top tier schools allow deferred admissions?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:760
I am very interested in getting an MBA in the next few years. However, I work for a small entrepreneurial venture and it can be hard to predict where it will be in six-eight months. If it is very successful, I will want to stay here because I am in a great position to learn about entrepreneurship.

I would like to apply for admission to B school now but would likely defer for a year if I get in to a school where I want to go. And I am mostly interested in the top tier schools. I had a 3.75 at Brown University and got 760 on my gmat. I spoke to an admissions person at Stanford and learned that they absolutely do not allow deferrals. Is this true for all the other top programs?

Thanks so much for the help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:50 pm
IE Business School

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am
Dear sindib,

Schools vary on their deferral policies. However, schools that do offer deferrals will generally not grant one for you to continue in your current job. Deferrals are granted for things like serious illness or being called to military duty. You should only apply to school when you feel you are at a point in your career where you need to pursue a MBA to continue to advance your career.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Deferring B school?

by Scott2010 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 am
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear sindib,

Schools vary on their deferral policies. However, schools that do offer deferrals will generally not grant one for you to continue in your current job. Deferrals are granted for things like serious illness or being called to military duty. You should only apply to school when you feel you are at a point in your career where you need to pursue a MBA to continue to advance your career.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa,

My girlfriend is in Med school, and will graduate in 2012. I would like to go to B school full time, and have her apply to residencies programs in the city/region where I'd be going to school. If I were applying for B school for fall 2012, she would also have to be applying, and it would be extremely difficult to know where I'd go (i.e. being accepted from Round 1) before she has to apply. Ideally I'd apply in her 3rd year, and defer acceptance until 2012, so that she would know 100% where I will be when she applies!

For the sake of a spouse type situation like mine, would a top-tier allow a deferral? Please lend me your thoughts.

Scott

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:03 pm
Dear Scott,

While I understand your situation, schools do not generally allow folks to apply in advance to enter at a later date unless it is for a specific program where that is the structure (i.e., HBS 2+2). If you want to enter in fall 2012, then you would apply in fall 2011. It is a tough situation to manage logistically, but it can be done. You could also wait to apply in the second round to allow for timing to match up in terms of making a decision on where to go. Additionally, some schools will allow a deferral on making a deposit for folks in your situation. For example, if you have to pay a deposit by March 1 to secure your seat but your wife finds out where she matches on March 15, there are schools that will give you until March 20 to pay your deposit. These are school-by-school type decisions, so you should not expect it--but you can definitely ask for the extra time. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Scott2010 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:57 pm
Lisa,

Thanks. I must have missed your response. I just found it be searching on "defer". Of the 3+ years with my girlfriend, 2+ has been a distance relationship. I might be getting a job transfer to L.A./O.C. next month, which would be huge for us (she's in OC). I just want to cut down on further distance for us in the future. I say this because I would like to get into schools ranked higher than UCLA.

Thanks again,
Scott Stover