Discovery of Cars

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Discovery of Cars

by newton9 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm
Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant.

(A) of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(B) of cars that are able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(C) that cars are able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(D) which is that there are cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(E) which is increasingly relevant is that there are cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids
Last edited by newton9 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm
IMO answer is C. I hope you know how to underline the sentence, don't you?
newton9 wrote:Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant.

(A) of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(B) of cars that are able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(C) that cars are able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(D) which is that there are cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant
(E) which is increasingly relevant is that there are cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm
IMO answer is C. I hope you know how to underline the sentence, don't you?
newton9 wrote:Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ps63739 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 pm

A - Wordy
B - Unclear
C - Correct
D - Wordy
E - Wordy.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 pm
a - if you are discovering a verb you need discover that
b- same as above
c - correct answer
d - if you use which, you must set it off with commas
e - same as d.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm
Arthurs' discovery

I believe that "discovery" is subject not verb. I am just confused why do we need "that".

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bleedthegmat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 am

I will go with C..

[A] : has being -> stay away
: There is car which is getting discovered
[C] : Correct
[D] : car is incorrectly getting modified
[E] : car is incorrectly getting modified

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 am
i wish answers to all question in GMAT were vivid like this....lol

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by subgeeth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 pm
Am confused with B and C
and I chose B.
Please any one Explain why not B
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 pm
the reason you need discover that is becuase he is not discovering economic cars - he is discovering that cars can be more more economical. Because he is discovering a verb phrase you need to introduce it with that.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

by pops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 pm
How can C be correct here ?

original sentence says: "Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate" that means there are cars that are able to operate __

C => Arthurs' discovery that cars are able to operate this implies all cars are able to operate.. its definitely not what original sentence meant !

IMO B.. Arthurs' discovery of cars that are able to operate more economically __ is correct

by neha.patni » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 am
pops wrote:How can C be correct here ?

original sentence says: "Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate" that means there are cars that are able to operate __

C => Arthurs' discovery that cars are able to operate this implies all cars are able to operate.. its definitely not what original sentence meant !

IMO B.. Arthurs' discovery of cars that are able to operate more economically __ is correct
B changes the meaning of the sentence suggesting that Arther's discovery of cars instead of original sentence which says that Arthur discovered that cars are able to operate more economically.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by solankijignesh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:39 am
Arthurs' discovery of there being cars able to operate more economically as regenerative hybrids has become increasingly relevant.

i will go with B. As i understand original sentence says "Arthur`s discovery .... has become increasingly relevant." so considering that option C doesnt make sense and alters the meaning. If C is true, then the meaning is like this :Discovery is that cars able to operate more economically, which doesnt sound like a discovery.

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner

by CookieNet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:08 am
subgeeth wrote:Am confused with B and C
and I chose B.
Please any one Explain why not B
Arthurs' discovery of cars
> I believe this usage of 's and of makes this choice awkward. It is not clear and precise as Choice B