Diagnostic test

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Diagnostic test

by aippingw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 am
Hi guys,

so I decided to start studying for the GMAT and I wanted to know if I really needed to take a diagnostic test.

I read about some "sucess stories" that you should save the CATs for later but some other people say that it is a good thing to evaluate your strenghs and weaknesses...

So should I really take a diagnostic or should I start studying material ?

And would be the best diagnostic test I could take ? MGMAT maybe ?

Thanks for you help !

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:38 pm
Yes. you must take a diagnostic test to see where you are. It really helps you to devise your study plan based on the test. If you are weak in certain areas, you must plan to spend more time on those topics. If you are good in certain areas, you must keep practicing those topics at the same time.

But remember that spending some time with basics and strategies is a must no matter how good you are.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 pm
aippingw wrote:Hi guys,

so I decided to start studying for the GMAT and I wanted to know if I really needed to take a diagnostic test.

I read about some "sucess stories" that you should save the CATs for later but some other people say that it is a good thing to evaluate your strenghs and weaknesses...

So should I really take a diagnostic or should I start studying material ?

And would be the best diagnostic test I could take ? MGMAT maybe ?

Thanks for you help !
the best way to start for GMAT is to take a diagnostic test (the best is in OG) and then rate as per the standards given in the book and make a stratergy accordingly.
give most of the preparation time to the weakest area
2-3 mnths of rigourous preparation will be enough to achieve the target,provided one must be capable enough to recognize one's error.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rahul.s » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 am
yeah, i second phoenix's opinion. start with the diagnostic from the OG.