Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Crash Course in SC

by jatros123 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:23 pm
OK this is for those who have woke up late and are in a hurry to finish preparations..

Strategy for SC

1> Read the sentence (question) without the underlined part to save time as most of the cases the underlined part confuses people..and is incorrect atleast half the time..so why waste time reading something that is wrong..

2> Read the begining and end of all the options except option A, not the full sentence only the begining and end and fit it with the remainign part of the question. You will know as such which option is way absurd and which one seems ok..

3> Eliminate all the options whose beginin and end dont fit in the question.

4> You should be left out with atleast two .. if none of the four options seem to fit considering their begining and end then u have answer as option A

5> Out of the two tht seem to fit eliminate the one that is too verbose or twisted (this is mostly a hunch and this is for those who have really had no practice with SC ever before and no not what grammar is)

6> The one you are left with thus can then be just superficially compared with option A to just eliminate the case of oversight..

7> Confirm and move to next question.

Practice atleast 30-40 problems this way and I can assure you, that the accuracy of hitting the rite answer is almost 80%.

If you know some basic grammar rules then i am sure this will give u a hit ratio of 90-95%.

Remember this strategy usually doesnt work if the sentence is completely underlined.

If sentence is completely underlined it means nuthing makes sense in the question probably so dont read it

start reading from option B and match and compare similar looking options chances are similar looking options are correct i.e. for e.g. if option B and option E are almost same in most manner with slight modifications options D and C are no where close to each other chances are one of B or E is correct.. carefully compare the two with each other and eliminate the one that doesnt fit or has some genuine flaw.

Finally compare with A just to eliminate any chances of A being the right choice. and you have answered one of the most difficult type of SC (completely underlined)

In my next post ill demonstrate how this strategy is to be used for different questions.

Please remember that you are not judged here for your provess at Grammar..dont waste time thinking and constructing the corect sentence in your mind..as most students do..this will just confuse you more just match and compare the options in front of you and it will help.

Hope this post helps you people.

If you have developed your own strategy and well versed with it dont change it now..as this may lead to confusion and waste your precious time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:09 pm
Awesome initiative, jatros123!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:53 pm
way to go jatros :)
thanks for the initiative. wow you hav added poll too :D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Tried it today with pretty positive results

by xyz21 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:54 pm
jatros123,

Your strategy is very "out of the box"! I started preparing for SC just a few days days back so I definitely don't have much knowledge right now but I thought I would give your strategy a shot with few questions from SC 1000. Tried 10 questions and got a success rate of about 60%, which is pretty good.. also, I got most the answers right at the end since I started to get a hang of the technique. This technique is esp good if the underlined part has a preceding and a following part.

Would really appreciate if you demonstrate the technique with some sample questions (as you mentioned in your post).

Thanks for sharing. Waiting for your next posting.

Cheers,
xyz21