Cracked a 770 on GMAT!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

Cracked a 770 on GMAT!!

by mukul » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:54 am
Hiya all!!

I just cracked the GMAT with a 770 score. QA-50 VA-45 AWA-5. I am so happy. This forum is great guys!! And the detailed blog...simply rocks!!

I took it on 30 oct '06. I started my preparations 2 months before that. Initialy I targeted the verbal section starting with CR and SC. Then after taking the diagnostics I felt that I need to work on quant as well. I was pretty confident about my quant skills...but the diagnostic made me realise that on the tests i was making silly mistakes.
Also that time I was solely following OG 10. I completed the entire OG verbal section in one months time. After that I got myself kaplan 800 and kaplan verbal. Also I finsihed doing the Manhattan SC in a week's time.

My accuracy levels saw an instant rise after that in SC. Manahattan is a great book. Kaplan is great for CR's and RC"s.

I made a chart while doing the OG of all the problems which i did wrong on my first go. After the first month....I started doing the tougher problems in DS, SC and CR. And I started my Practise tests sessions. Along with it, I started doing the OG again. I made a list of SC rules, idioms and DS mistakes.

What I have observed that GMAT requires you to comb out ur weak points. For a great score, you don't need to mug up every formulae....but you do need to elimintae all things which go wrong...so its like reducing the -ve rather adding the +ve.

I have started a blog for all of you...plz check it out...

cheers!!

======================================================================================================

Hi Guyz!!

This post is going to come right out of my heart. This is simply to share my experiences as a GMAT taker and my journey till now. Yes it takes a lot to make your dreams come true....and this is the story of my journey!!

I have done my engg. from IIT Delhi and Graduated last year. I took CAT two times and failed miserably. Both the times I screwed up the DI section. It's just not my cup of tea. I scored well in maths and english sections.

I was devastated...seeing all my batchmates go to IIMs and some to big companies like McKinsey, BCG, ML was doing me no good. I felt like a loser. It was not that my prep for CAT was not gud enuf...but some things are just meant to happen in a certain way...

I can't express in words how miserable I felt when I had to leave IIT with a mediocre IT job. I did some introspection and got some advice from my sister who's in US...she told me something which now I totally believe..."everything happens for a reason". May be I didn't clear CAT because I have somethin better. She told me to prepare for GMAT and meanwhile get the feel of the industry. That's what i did. I didn't look for switching my job. I came to Pune and since then I am here...

I didn't expect my prep to start right away...so I waited and it was only in june when I started thinking about GMAT. I took out my Kaplan 2004 guide..which I bought in IIT but never read. Initailly the prep didn get kick started. The reason was that I didn't have a test date.

Lesson learned till now:
Forget about past failures.
Look forward...try options and always have a positive attitude.
Have a dream and be passionate about it.
Lastly get a test date...keep urself on the toes and focussed!!

I took a test date...on 30 Oct..I can never forget that date...I also took a date for TOEFL on 1 Oct.

My actual preparation started in Aug when I took a date. I started looking for resources on the net. I started looking at the posts in PG, beat the GMAT, score top...I downloaded some stuff from eSnips.

Strategising was not a problem for me...I know how to study to make the most out of it...the trick is simple...I don't think/do anything when I study...and the other thing I do is kinda strange but works for me....I make a comittment to myself and all the time I think about how bad I wud feel if i didn't keep that. So I thought I would score a 720 in my GMAT. That was an honest goal for me.

In a month I knew what all I lack...what are the areas where I need to push myself more...I was lacking the accuracy..I was making silly mistakes...and If I could cut down my silly mistakes and brush up some old CAT concepts, a 750 is not impossible for me.

I took Gmat prep for the first time and scored 710...I was happy to see the 700 figure...and happiness is gud..especially if u've been depressed all the time!!

It gave confidence and I made a master plan for me. The plan was for Sep and Oct...two months....I made a big chart....its basically a calendar with big blocks for each day....
I collected all the
Materials....1000 sc, 1000 cr, OG, Kaplan guide, Kaplan 800, Kaplan verbal, Manhatan, all the tests...kaplan, gmat prep, and IMS Cds.

I made a schedule...and fitted all of it in those two months. each day I would come after office and without food started my study sessions...at the end I would cross out the date...like an executioner....The crosses gave me confidence and a sense of satisfaction. It felt gud to see that the days were not just passing by but I was progressing and getting nearer to my goal.

I stuck post-its all over my place with quotes and motivational stuff...each day when I woke up I would know that I would finish this thing today...I knew that GMAT was the only way to redeem myself...I took TOEFL...which helped me get a feel of the computer test...also I learnt a lesson that always reach your centres early.

I was inline with my schedule...and some days I would not keep up with the schedule...which I wud make up on weekends...I had scheduled my sessions takin the possibility of over times...

Two weeks before the test I started my practise test Marathon. I had 12 ims tests. 4 kaplan tests, 1 gmat test. I finished all of them in those two weeks. My sequence was...12 ims tests. were not so good. CR was no way GMAT type...maths was good. helped me with time management in maths but totally wcrewed up in english...cuz crs were very short....unlike actaual gmat where it takes time just to read the CR.

Anyways I moved to Kaplan...I was aware of the notorious reputation of Kaplna tests...but Keya's (another Pagli here) post helped me a lot. I knew if I managed a 650 average on all 4 tests....I was gud...and i did...

I had kept the GMAT prep for the last...cuz I knew its the fairest approximation...so i took it two days before...i got a 740. I was sure i wud get 740-750 on gmat....

last two days I prepared for AWA. and revised my SC tips, cr pointers and did some reading...random stuff...

Lesson learnt:
keep the GMAT prep test 2 for last day....and yess memorise the format...its exactly the same....even the colors...that is blue...everything is ditto...except the questions

On the final day:

I went to mumbai a day before....went to my fellow iitian friend's place...had light chit chat....talked bout good old days when all we had to do was play quake and gossip at nescafe....

woke up early...reached the centre early...the guard didnt allow me in before time...finaly the hour arrived...went in...did some formalities...and entered the test room.....

I know why..but I was totally realxed...I thot to myself, "Mukul this is your chance buddy...U had taken so many tests and scored well...no reason why u wud screw up today...U r goin to make it big" and then I thot of my parents and how happy they wud be...and started off...

paced thru the usual yada lada...and arrived at the awa section...was gud...ten there was the optional break after one hr of awa...which I didnt take!! should have taken tho...but I was too excited...

I started gettin tuff problems after 5-6 question..meant i was doing good...got stuck in a question....my iitian ego was not letting me let go off the question...but after some ime i had to guess and move forward..

lesson learnt...let go off the question after an intelligent guess..

Overall i felt my quant section was gud...more than 50 i thot...

then took a break....verbal....bold face CR in the 6th quesn...was happy...okkk i am doing gud..now time to concentrate and get this one rite at any cost...I guess i did it correctly....after that I dont know why...but I thot questions were easy...i got sad...but didnt let myself be bothered...I finished the verbal well before time....

and thennnnnnnnnnnnnnn..................i was so excited...i just paced thru the screens...atleast 10 screens....then it said...show scores???

Hell yesssssss!! I expected a 740 to be honest....

it said 770 (50 qa, 45 va, 5 awa)!! I raised my hands and literally jumped up....I came out of the room...and te invigilator looked at my score sheet and gave a big smile...

I was ecstatic....guys I am so much more relieved and confident now...
I learnt a lot from my preparations....and I thought I wud write all of it to help you guys....

I have given a detailed description of section wise prepping in my blog....u can go thru it...hope it helps....

ATB...if I can do it...so can you...

catch ya guys...

===========================================================================
Last edited by mukul on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:48 am
WOW! Fantastic performance, mukul!

I'm glad to hear that the Beat The GMAT resources were able to help you in your prep. Best of luck to you in your apps!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:46 am
Oh Mukul!
I was not aware that you are here!

Thanks for coming and sharing your experience with us.
770 is a great score.
Please feel free to contribute here on the forums. people like you are much needed.

THanks once again.

by venkat8103 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:58 am
thats a great score Mukul.
All the best To you for the next phase!

Cracked a 770 on GMAT!!

by mukul » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:11 pm
Guyz thanx!!

Lemme know how I can contribute to this site....
Also i need help with my application process... Which sites do you suggest??

Cheers!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 pm
Hi mukul:

We would certainly appreciate your participation at Beat The GMAT! The best way to help this community would be to participate in the discussions raised by our members--in the GMAT Strategy, GMAT Math, and GMAT Verbal forums. Given your score, you definitely seem to have an expertise on GMAT material that would help LOTS of people.

One great place to start on your MBA applications journey is to ping Stacy Blackman in her forum (if you haven't done so all ready).

Some other links I really like:

Dave for MBA's blog - https://daveformba.blocked/
Stacy Blackman's blog - https://blog.stacyblackman.com/
Clear Admit blog - https://www.clearadmit.com/blog/

Best of luck!

Legendary Member

Re: Cracked a 770 on GMAT!!

by aim-wsc » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:24 am
mukul wrote: Also i need help with my application process... Which sites do you suggest??

Cheers!
YOu applying for R2?

i enjoy reading (students and applicants) blogs.+ (clearadmit is cool)
( the list you could get form dave's MBA journey blog- the one mentioned by eric)

also a similar thread i found in archives
just have a look where i had provided some more links.
https://beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=457

One more question:
you from Pune?
there are some applicants from Pune who blog regularly.
I think i had provided the link of inblue's blog in that post ,
so just have a look @ the thread-link i pasted.
HTH.
:)

My experience...

by mukul » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:12 pm
Post moved up for better visibility....
Hi Guyz!!

This post is going to come right out of my heart. This is simply to share my experiences as a GMAT taker and my journey till now. Yes it takes a lot to make your dreams come true....and this is the story of my journey!!

I have done my engg. from IIT Delhi and Graduated last year. I took CAT two times and failed miserably. Both the times I screwed up the DI section. It's just not my cup of tea. I scored well in maths and english sections.

I was devastated...seeing all my batchmates go to IIMs......
Last edited by mukul on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:47 pm
Hi mukul:

Thank you so much for this inspiring post!

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:17 am
Exhaustive, Huge yet inspiring post buddy!

Really liked that

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat765 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 am
it TAKE time to read the post, great

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Hiee.. all

by Sara1804 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:37 pm
@Mukul - Congrats and thanks for your inspiring post.
-----------
I have a similar background...did my grad frm BITS pilani n came out with a 6pt...though i managed to get a decent job ,somehow i always had a feeling tht i could have done better so kicked off my plans to do an MBA.
Started with prep ...have the test booked for 26 aug'08.

I completed OG-11th edition, verb suppl, quant supply, princeton-math.
i started working on 1000 CR, RC and SC...
I am finding them veryyyyy difficult to solve.....i feel that the logic i am using to arrive at the ans is wrong because i am always ending up with a wrong answer....
i dont understand whtelse needs to be done 'coz i have already completed OG thrice.
SC is not a problem.....only CR and RCs. i know tht there are no ready made explanations available for 1000 series...
but is there anything that would help me ??
i have one month's time....please give me your valuable tips n suggestions...

Thanks!
Sara
Sara

by Tarmac » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:47 am
this thread is almost 2 years old

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sashish007 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:59 am
Dude, very inspirational. From lessons of darkness, emerges happiness!
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.