CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 am
[email protected] wrote:I am confused between B and E.

Question says teenage unemployment is rising since 1960, and statement E straight away rules it out mentioning that unemployment rate did go down occasionally. So, I think E should be the right answer.

Please clarify
B gives almost a Constant trend. E is jus spikes !

So, go for B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ganesh hatwar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm
(B) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.

This minimum may be high even after 1960 considering the cost of living increase , inflation and increase in number of graduates passing out who are will to work for lower wages

Please help Experts!

Thank you

by hjafferi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 pm
IMO B

Premise: there is an direct relationship between teenager wages and minimum wages.

The thing to understand is that teenager wages are not dependant on minimum wages or by lowering minimum wages.

A) but we are trying to lower the minim wage not increase it. This would not weeken the argument
B) correct answer because it shows that even if minimum wages are kept constant, the teenager wages have been increasing. This shows that the teenager wages are affected by other factors than minimum wages and is not dependent on minimum wages.
C) argument shows seasonality of the wages and does not talk about the relationship between teenager wages and minimim wages.
D) same as C
E) same as E[/u]

by akashkumar1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 pm
Answer s B

This s a conditional argument

Minimum wage increase - wage for teenagers also increase - hence unemployment increase as employers are not able to pay that much

A - It supports
B - Says minimum wage has increased but not the unemployment ..... Hence weaken it
C - Out of scope
D - We dont know what happened in 1970 or 1960 ... Out of scope
E - we dont have info in the passage that supports this.

by VyDinh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 pm
Hard to get the answer as I predicted the answer in a different way. It is said that if the GV lower the wages then the unemployment rate which has been rising since 1960 will no longer rise. I think B is not strong enough because it said the the unemployment rise even when the wages is constant. But what if the GV lower the wages?

My choice is E. But it has a problem because it does not say what makes the occasionally declined.

by tarik » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:52 pm
I chose A but it is wrong.
Thank you grockit_Andrea for the explanation. very clear.

by Java_85 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:25 am
IMO B.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sahilbilga » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 am
My Answer is B

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrigank_bhushan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 am
Hi experts,

i have a certain aspect to this that i thought is a line of critical thought. i may be completely out of line here, but i still would like someone to evaluate how what i think is not correct.

I was confused between option B and C. The reason being B gave me a more real world aspect tp this wherein, the even though the wages remained constant the unemployment increased, so as time goes by the net present value of money increases. Hence if someone is paid labour costa as according to previous years rates, in the real world it is as good as reduxing the minimum wage. Hence the argumwnt that wage reduction can help goes for a toss.

Heres what i thought of C. As employers were hiring more people in holidays, that kind of showed how purchase power of the employers for services was not the bottleneck. Because they can pay more, but they dont want to, maybe because the projects were drying out. Maybe the labour laws were not conducive to hiring best category labour etc. So whatwver maybe the issue, money wasnt.

I know its a long shot, but the reasonings above can still be valid cant they?

Regards

by mrigank_bhushan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:00 am
Hi experts,

i have a certain aspect to this that i thought is a line of critical thought. i may be completely out of line here, but i still would like someone to evaluate how what i think is not correct.

I was confused between option B and C. The reason being B gave me a more real world aspect tp this wherein, the even though the wages remained constant the unemployment increased, so as time goes by the net present value of money increases. Hence if someone is paid labour costa as according to previous years rates, in the real world it is as good as reduxing the minimum wage. Hence the argumwnt that wage reduction can help goes for a toss.

Heres what i thought of C. As employers were hiring more people in holidays, that kind of showed how purchase power of the employers for services was not the bottleneck. Because they can pay more, but they dont want to, maybe because the projects were drying out. Maybe the labour laws were not conducive to hiring best category labour etc. So whatwver maybe the issue, money wasnt.

Regards

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by ixthoughtxso » Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm
dkumar.83 wrote:8. Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?
(A) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.
(B) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
(C) Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons.
(D) The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970's than it did in the 1960's.
(E) The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.

Correct answer B.
Choice B introduces a scenario in which the minimum wage is irrelevant to the fluctuations of teenage unemployment rates. Remember, you do not have to destroy an argument in "weaken" questions--in fact, most questions and their answer choices will not completely undermine a position. An answer that raises slight doubt is sufficient.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 pm
mrigank_bhushan wrote:Hi experts,

I was confused between option B and C. The reason being B gave me a more real world aspect tp this wherein, the even though the wages remained constant the unemployment increased, so as time goes by the net present value of money increases.
The colored statement is wrong. You are given in option B that:

It does not mean that the cause of "increase in unemployment rate" is constant wages. It just means both have occurred together.
mrigank_bhushan wrote:Hence if someone is paid labour costa as according to previous years rates, in the real world it is as good as reduxing the minimum wage. Hence the argumwnt that wage reduction can help goes for a toss.
I am not sure what you mean here. But option B is correct for the following reason:

Conclusion says: Decrease X (minimum wage) will lead to halt in the increase of Y (unemployment)

Now, what if there is some Z (e.g. poor economy) which actually can increase Y?

Now, if Z is there, then you won't be sure whether Y will increase or not even when X is decreased. Basically, if the economy is on a negative growth, then even if you decrease the minimum wage, the unemployment may still increase.

Now, option B indicates towards one factor which may actually lead to increase in unemployment.

We are given that unemployment has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant. So, it indicates that there is some other factor (Z) which causes increase in unemployment.

Now, given that this factor is there, we can't be sure whether decreasing the minimum wage will surely halt the increase in unemployment.
mrigank_bhushan wrote: Heres what i thought of C. As employers were hiring more people in holidays, that kind of showed how purchase power of the employers for services was not the bottleneck. Because they can pay more, but they dont want to, maybe because the projects were drying out. Maybe the labour laws were not conducive to hiring best category labour etc. So whatwver maybe the issue, money wasnt.

Regards
Probably an example might help here:

If I tell you that I can pay $10,000 for a car, does that mean that money is not a concern for me when I purchase stationery? Does that mean that I'll happily buy a pen even if it's price is increased from $10 to $20?

No. Right?

Just because employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons, it doesn't mean that money is not a concern. May be they get a lot more customers during these seasons, therefore, they can afford more people during these seasons but not in other seasons. Also, it also leaves open the possibility that they could have hired even more people if the minimum wages had been lower (the concern of the argument).

Therefore, Option C does not impact the argument.

I hope it helps!

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

by dinesh86 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 am
I am stuck between B and E....

by jaspreetsra » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm
B is the right candidate.:)

by jak5189 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:34 am
B)

Remember this is a causation argument. It states that the minimum wage has caused an increase in the teenage unemployment rate. This is another way of saying X (minimum wage) caused Y (unemployment rate). What we need to do is disprove this causation. Choice B disproves the causation by stating even when the minimum wage remained constant the teenage unemployment rate has gone up.