CR - Strengthening question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

CR - Strengthening question

by karthikpandian19 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm
An experiment was conducted at a major university to test the effect of prolonged exposure to digital media on cognitive abilities. The experimental group of subjects, which spent a long period of time exposed to various digital media, performed significantly worse on a basic test of cognitive skills than did the control group, which was not exposed to digital media. The psychologists in charge of the study attributed this effect to loss of attention span caused by the fast pace at which information is presented in digital media.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the conclusion that the digital media was responsible for the results of this experiment?

(A) The average consumer of digital media does not spend nearly as much time exposed to it per day as the group in this experiment did.

(B) Older forms of media such as television arguably present information at just as rapid a pace as digital media and have not been found to produce similar results with regard to cognition.

(C) Experts maintain that the prolonged exposure to digital media experienced by the experimental group will not have any permanent effect on their cognitive ability.

(D) The experimental and control groups consisted of subjects who were evenly matched in terms of cognitive ability as a prerequisite of the experiment.

(E) Several months after this experiment, a second experiment was performed which tested the same effect but did not include a control group not exposed to the high volume of digital media.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm
I like it when they point out the conclusion in the question stem :)

A--we have information about digital media vs. no digital media, not various levels of digital media

B--since the psychologists attributed the effect to the pace of information, this weakens the conclusion

C--we are not terribly concerned with permanent effects, just the short-term effects shown by the experiment

D--correct; by eliminating a possible alternative explanation, the conclusion is strengthened.

E--irrelevant without knowing the results of that experiment
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 am
OA is D
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by akashkumar1987 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:08 pm
Analogy Question - Find out answer that shows the similarity and it s done.

answer s D.

Got it correct :)