CR questions - Finding Assumptions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

CR questions - Finding Assumptions

by ILIinNY » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:21 pm
Hello, I am running into a few issues with the CR portion and hoping someone could offer some insight. In particular, I am having difficulties locating the assumption, which, in turn, causes some havoc with assumption, strengthen, and weaken questions. I am ok finding evidence and conclusions, but the connecting piece is where I either draw blank or get the answer confused. I have used various strategies including diagramming, unique terms, and anything else you could think about from the different prep courses. Could some one please offer some insight as to how to improve with this topic? would be greatly appreciated. :?

by ILIinNY » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:35 pm
Just to shed more light, I think the part where I am stuck is paraphrasing the right assumption. Thus, when I start looking at the answer choices, everything (or multiple ones) could sometime see feasible

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:19 pm

by ILIinNY » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:30 pm
Thanks so much. I skimmed through this on the train yesterday, and it seems like it is mainly for logic flaws - Thus, I would think this would be great for flaw questions only? Is it good for assumptions in general too?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:54 pm
Well first of all, I definitely recommend the Power Score CR bible book. And as for the assumption questions:

+ Negate the answer choice and see whether it weakens the conclusion. If it does - you found the assumption

+ Assumption is an unstated premise. So you will not find it in the argument. Don't get confused by restated premises.

+ FIND THE CONCLUSION. If the conclusion contains something new, which is not mentioned in the premises. The assumption is the link that connects that NEW info to the rest of the argument.

+ Dont get confused with the answer choices which strengthen the conclusion. Argument can stay valid without those but arguments NEED assumptions!
GMAT DELIGHT