Conversion of Q and V raw scores into GMAT score!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi guys,

Very often people ask themselves: "ok, I need at least a 680 score (for example) to be considered by Y school, but how much I need in terms of Q and V?"
Thus, in order this not to be a mistery anymore, I have decided to post a very nice XLS file containing all gmat scores in range from 470 to 800 and related Q and V scores.
Each gmat score has its combination of Q and V scores.
Attachments
GMAT SCORES.xls
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Last edited by pkit on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ashokkadam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 am
Thanks for the post!!! very helpful indeed :)
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 am
pkit -

It is very thoughtful for you to want to help people better understand there scores. Would you be able to post the source of this information?

I just had a couple of questions...It is true that verbal scores get a some additional weight as compared to quantitative scores, but this chart indicates that if you get a 51 on the verbal section that you could score as low as a 41 on the Quant and still get a 750. I understand that the verbal would be high 99th percentile but the quantitative would only be the 61st percentile. I do not think you can get a 98th percentile overall score with a 61st percentile quantitative.

Thanks!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by pkit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:00 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:pkit -

It is very thoughtful for you to want to help people better understand there scores. Would you be able to post the source of this information?

I just had a couple of questions...It is true that verbal scores get a some additional weight as compared to quantitative scores, but this chart indicates that if you get a 51 on the verbal section that you could score as low as a 41 on the Quant and still get a 750. I understand that the verbal would be high 99th percentile but the quantitative would only be the 61st percentile. I do not think you can get a 98th percentile overall score with a 61st percentile quantitative.

Thanks!
David,

I appreciate your attention and comments.
I have compiled this file based on my observations through different GMAT results [indeed they are controversial sometimes]. I cheked the file to "800score"'s score tool, please see to https://www.800score.com/score2.php.
I based my observations on official results and GMATprep results only.

Well, GMAT is a mystery :), a combination of Q41 and V51 is quite rare, but it really exists see NIXBTG's response or 5th here https://www.beatthegmat.com/g-day-beat-t ... 83-15.html , he scored 750 (Q40 V51) and 750(Q41 v50) .
Regarding the higher value of Verbal score, it seems that the reversed combination of Q51 V41 gives even higher overall GMAT score, i.e. 760. For example look here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/760-q51-v41- ... 66437.html

So, I think one can get 98th percentile overall score with a 61st percentile quantitative, but it is really rare combination.

Thanks! :)

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 am
I checked the link below and I believe that NIXBTG got at 50 quant and 40 verbal not the other way around. This is a big difference as this is the 94th percentile on quant and the 89th percentile verbal. The 98th percentile overall is in reach with those two scores. If the reverse were true, then he would have the 99th % verbal but only the 59th % on Quant. Big difference!

You are certainly correct that quant 51 and verbal 41 would be an even higher score as this is the 99th percentile quant and the 92 percentile verbal.

I am a big fan of doing well on the verbal, but I just wonder if it can take someone's score as high as we want it to without the quant pulling it's weight too.

Thanks for looking into this!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by pkit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I checked the link below and I believe that NIXBTG got at 50 quant and 40 verbal not the other way around. This is a big difference as this is the 94th percentile on quant and the 89th percentile verbal. The 98th percentile overall is in reach with those two scores. If the reverse were true, then he would have the 99th % verbal but only the 59th % on Quant. Big difference!

You are certainly correct that quant 51 and verbal 41 would be an even higher score as this is the 99th percentile quant and the 92 percentile verbal.

I am a big fan of doing well on the verbal, but I just wonder if it can take someone's score as high as we want it to without the quant pulling it's weight too.

Thanks for looking into this!
I tend to agree that 59th% on Quant is too small to give 98% on the GMAT.
I think that on the real GMAT this case (40Q V51) is highly improbable.
Well, me may exclude extreme cases from my XLS.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am
It is a good service you are providing and at the middle ranges where people will normally score it is very good. I just want to help you to make it the best it can be so people say "that chart predicted my score exactly"!

Thanks!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by pkit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:It is a good service you are providing and at the middle ranges where people will normally score it is very good. I just want to help you to make it the best it can be so people say "that chart predicted my score exactly"!

Thanks!
Thank you a lot David!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by euro » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:44 pm
I was wondering about the *raw score* on GMAT.

This may sound stupid but I am not able to digest it.... If the Quant has a total of 37 questions and the Verbal section has 41, then how can the raw score be computed from 51?
Shouldn't the raw score be out of 37 for Quant and out of 41 for Verbal ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 pm
The points aren't calculated as in 1 question correct equals to 1 point. The algorithm is unknown outside of GMAC, and in combination with experimental questions, it is actually quite difficult to have a good guesstimation.
Yep.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 am
As UWHusky states there is not a 1 to 1 correspondence between questions and points. The scores we talk about for Quant and Verbal are not "raw scores" they are scaled scores.

Remember that this is not like the LSAT or the paper SAT where one question right is one point and the difficulty does not matter. On the GMAT there are three things that primarily determine your score. One of these is the number of questions right, another is the number of questions you answered, and a third is the difficulty and other characteristics of the questions that you attempted.

I guess I better mention a fourth - the experimental questions -- please remember that several questions on each test administration are being pre-tested for use on later tests and these are not counted in your score right or wrong. So you see it is not as simple as one right= one point.

Veritas Prep Reviews