Construction of the Roman Colesseum

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by programming_max » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
kvcpk wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Quickest approach:

Scanning the 5 answer choices, we see that B, C and E include the conjunction and, which is needed to prevent a run-on sentence. Eliminate A and D.

In E, the pronoun which implies that the Flavian Amphitheater was begun in AD 69. The intended meaning of the sentence is that construction began in AD 69. Eliminate E.

In B, begun either is the wrong tense or is a modifier incorrectly suggesting that the Amphitheater was begun in AD 69. The intended meaning of the sentence is that construction began in AD 69. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,
I have a query here.
In C, "Began in A.D 69" is set off by commas. That seemed to me as unessesntial. Because, additional information set off by commas is normally non-essential.

But that information is essential in the context of the sentence.
What am i Missing?
Below is C with the essential elements in bold red typeface:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

The clause which...Amphitheater and the phrase during...Vespasian are set off by commas because they are non-essential. They could be removed and the meaning of the sentence would be clear:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum began in AD 69 and was completed a decade later.

Does this help?
thank you guru But unfortunately I still have problem with this question
as you said the full intended meaning sentence is

Construction of the Roman Colosseum began in AD 69 and was completed a decade later.

as we can see there is "the Construction of roman began", can construction act as a subject ?!
I mean it is obvious that Construction cannot begin , began or have begun any thing but it could be like
the construction of something was begun(by someone ,or a crew) , it is also more parallel with was completed after and .

I appreciate your help.
thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 am
programming_max wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
kvcpk wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Quickest approach:

Scanning the 5 answer choices, we see that B, C and E include the conjunction and, which is needed to prevent a run-on sentence. Eliminate A and D.

In E, the pronoun which implies that the Flavian Amphitheater was begun in AD 69. The intended meaning of the sentence is that construction began in AD 69. Eliminate E.

In B, begun either is the wrong tense or is a modifier incorrectly suggesting that the Amphitheater was begun in AD 69. The intended meaning of the sentence is that construction began in AD 69. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,
I have a query here.
In C, "Began in A.D 69" is set off by commas. That seemed to me as unessesntial. Because, additional information set off by commas is normally non-essential.

But that information is essential in the context of the sentence.
What am i Missing?
Below is C with the essential elements in bold red typeface:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

The clause which...Amphitheater and the phrase during...Vespasian are set off by commas because they are non-essential. They could be removed and the meaning of the sentence would be clear:

Does this help?
thank you guru But unfortunately I still have problem with this question
as you said the full intended meaning sentence is

as we can see there is "the Construction of roman began", can construction act as a subject ?!
I mean it is obvious that Construction cannot begin , began or have begun any thing but it could be like
the construction of something was begun(by someone ,or a crew) , it is also more parallel with was completed after and .

I appreciate your help.
thanks
Why can't construction begin? One definition of the verb begin is to commence. There is no reason that we can't say:

Construction commenced in AD 69...and was completed a decade later.

An error-free answer choice in which both verbs were active might be preferable, but no such answer choice is offered by the SC above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
cephaslr wrote:OG v 12

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

[spoiler]OA. C
[/spoiler]
why?!?
The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,
whats wrong with saying
The construction was begun
It means the construction was started by someone.Its not an event happening on its own triggered by natural events.
The construction began.It sems to convey that the construction started like a big bang explosion , on its own with no person involved.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 am
mundasingh123 wrote: Hi Mitch,
whats wrong with saying
It means the construction was started by someone.Its not an event happening on its own triggered by natural events.
The construction began.It sems to convey that the construction started like a big bang explosion , on its own with no person involved.
Our job is not to look for what we think the correct answer should say but to eliminate the four answer choices that contain errors. A, B, D and E each have a clear error, so C is the correct answer.

It is very common to say that an event or an action began without any mention of human involvement:

Construction began last year.
Filming began last week.

While it also would be correct to say that construction was begun...and was completed, we are not offered this option among the answer choices.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote: Hi Mitch,
whats wrong with saying
Our job is not to look for what we think the correct answer should say but to eliminate the four answer choices that contain errors. A, B, D and E each have a clear error, so C is the correct answer.

It is very common to say that an event or an action began without any mention of human involvement:

Construction began last year.
Filming began last week.

While it also would be correct to say that construction was begun...and was completed, we are not offered this option among the answer choices.
hello mitch

after a long analysis, my question seems a bit weird, but i have to understand that. my question is what are the inherent features of run-on sentences...and how do i accost to that...

regards nafi

thanks in advance

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by badresh70 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm
Thanks Mitch for the explanation.....it was helpful.....!!

by nafiul9090 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:14 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

[spoiler]OA. C
[/spoiler]
why?!?
The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,
whats wrong with saying

hello bro

take a look at following sentence. i just read it from nytimes. it seems a bit similar to our question.

"Presbyterian Healthcare Services, which operates three hospitals in Albuquerque, began focusing on improving the efficiency of its call light system after hearing complaints from focus groups of nurses and patients."

kinds regards Nafi

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 am
Hi Nafi,
This does not exactly resemble the question that i posed . My question is whether the action has taken place on the subject in the SC posted here in this thread or the subject has committed the action on itself.
Someone started the colloseum or the colloseum just started .
I hope u understand what i mean .
Here in the example that you posted the subject started doing something . It is explicit that the subject has started some action.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am
Hi Nafi,
Another point is that it is eveident the services comprise people who started the action .
Its different from the SC in this thread . Here the subject is construction which doesnt comprise people. How can a coonstruction begin on its own
Thanks
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhical » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:39 am
hberens wrote:Since "of Roman Colosseum" is a modifier, I read the sentence assuming that 'Construction' is the subject of the sentence. Since the subject is 'construction', shouldn't 'which' incorrectly refer to 'construction' and not 'colosseum'?

For example, if I wrote, "The cars of Los Angeles, which comprise of BMWs..." Here 'which' correctly points to cars, not Los Angeles since cars is the subject of the sentence. Which does not always point to the closest noun.
I too second this concern posted by hberens. While there are certain exceptions to the 'Touch Rule' as mentioned in Manhattan GMAT SC guide, this case looks unconvincing to me as well.

Isn't the modifier 'which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater', the the SC above, referring to 'construction' rather than 'Colosseum'?

Can somebody close the loop here?

TIA.

by Sanjay2706 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:57 am
IMO C is the answer.
I think 'began' is the correct usage here.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by riyazgilani » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

[spoiler]OA. C
[/spoiler]
why?!?
Quickest approach:

The correct answer is C.
hi Mitch, in the choice B, the modifier part " officially known as.." will correctly modify Colosseum or incorrectly refer to construction..?

thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:28 am
riyazgilani wrote:hi Mitch, in the choice B, the modifier part " officially known as.." will correctly modify Colosseum or incorrectly refer to construction..?
COMMA + VERBed serves to modify the nearest preceding noun.
B: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater
Here, known serves to modify the Roman Colosseum -- the nearest preceding noun -- implying that the Colosseum is OFFICIALLY KNOWN as the Flavian Amphitheater.
Not the intended meaning.
The Colosseum is not CURRENTLY known as the Flavian Amphitheater.
Rather, it WAS known as the Flavian Amphitheater IN THE PAST.
Eliminate B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer quickly! To begin, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

(A) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
(B) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(C) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(D) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
(E) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few things we can focus on to narrow down our options:

1. which was officially known / officially known (verb tense & meaning)
2. began / begun / and begun / which was begun (verb tense & modifiers)
3. the varied endings (Does it need "and" or "it" at the end?)

Let's start with #1 on our list because it will eliminate 2-3 options rather quickly. While it may seem like these two phrases could be used interchangeably, there is a slight difference in how we handle modifiers that begin with "which" and ones that don't:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater...
The word "which" here signifies that the modifier only applies to the nearest noun, which in this case is the Roman Colosseum. Does this make sense? YES!

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater...
The modifier here doesn't have the word "which," so it applies to the entire phrase that precedes it. Does it make sense to say the construction of the Roman Colosseum was named the Flavian Amphitheater? NO!

Therefore, we must eliminate any options that don't use the word "which" in this modifier:

(A) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
(B) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(C) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(D) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
(E) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

There you go - we can eliminate options B, D, & E because the modifier is referring back to the wrong thing.

Now that we're only left with 2 options, let's focus on whether or not we need that extra "and" at the end of the underlined phrase. To decide if it's necessary, let's go through and cross out any non-essential phrases or modifiers. What we're left with should still be a complete sentence. If not, then we have a problem!

(A) Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

This is CORRECT! While this is an incredibly wordy sentence with several modifiers and non-essential phrases added in, we can still find the core of the sentence - a subject and verb.

(C) Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

This is INCORRECT because the extra "and" took away our verb! If we read what we have left after crossing out all the modifiers and non-essential phrases, this doesn't work as a complete sentence.

There you have it - option A is the correct choice because it uses modifiers and non-essential phrases correctly to create a clear meaning and a complete sentence.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.