connect 121

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

connect 121

by LSB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm
Hi Lisa -

Have you ever heard of connect 121 in the context of the QS World MBA Tour. I received an invite to register in order to set up an interview with a defined set of business schools. It seems that these schools have invited me to speak to them based on the profile I submitted when I registered for the Toronto event. Is my understanding correct?

Do you know what the nature of the discussion will be? i.e. formal interview / informal chat etc.

Thanks for your help

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 pm
Dear LSB,

Connect 121 is new, so I'm not that familiar with it yet. From what I gather on the website, it is not necessarily your interview for admission. But then it would not surprise me if some schools use it that way. It looks like you have an opportunity to get a dedicated slot to meet with a representative from a school and schools have selected you based on your profile. Thus you will want to make the most of this time to give a positive first impression. Believe me, they will make notes on you so you want to be engaging, professional, and thoughtful in your questions. I would basically liken this to an informational interview for a job search; so go in with prepared questions that you cannot answer from the schools' websites. It will probably be more of an informal discussion, but I would dress professionally and conduct yourself accordingly.

Good luck and have fun!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 pm
LSB,
Just curious have you heard from Oxford Said Business school through the Connect 121 forum?

GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:29 pm
I have heard of Said. But not through 121. I just returned from the event. They were not represented in Toronto. We had roughly 10 schools represented:

IE
Haas
RSM
Manchester
Warwick
Rotman
Smurfit (Ireland)
Thunderbird
Pepperdine
Toulouse

The event was awesome. Small crowd of students. A lot of personal attention. And great candidates (amazing networking opportunity).

The school representatives were senior. As Lisa mentioned, they did take notes and it certainly allowed for a good first step in the door. Even if you are not interested in the schools you interview with at the event this is still a great opportunity to practice for MBA interviews. If you have the chance to participate I would highly encourage it.

Lisa - this is just my reporting back to you guys. I hope that you can use this as input for other folks whom you help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:26 am
Thanks, LSB. That was helpful and I'm excited it was worthwhile. I hope others see your post and take advantage of Connect 121 if they get an opportunity.
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me