Confused with 620 :? Please help!!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Confused with 620 :? Please help!!!!

by preeti7912 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:42 am
Hi

I wish I could come to know about this forum a little early.

I took my GMAT last Saturday (Aug 30) and scored ONLY 620. Since then I am in the most confused state of mind.

I really dont know what went wrong. Specially after reading prep's and experience of people on this forum who scored 700+, I really think that I deserved it too.

With a lot of hopes to get some valuable advice, I am writing in this forum.

My Profile:

I have 8 years of work-ex including 4 years in management role. I work for one of the top most firms of the world.

Why GMAT/MBA?
The only thing lacking in my profile is a full time MBA degree from a reputed college and if I get one, I am confident that I can more than double my salary and skip at least 2 levels in organization hierarchy.

Initiation
Since I had no clue about GMAT, I thought to take help of a professional coaching center and enrolled myself with Jamboree in mid of April this year. They teach nothing but OG 10 and 11 with some additional study material.

Preparation

Verbal
I did OG 10 and 11 twice. Practiced 1000 SC, 117 RC, 400 CR. And I was pretty confident in verbal, especially in SC.

Quant
Did OG 10 and 11 once. Practiced some 700 extra questions from Manhattan. And some more extra questions from GMAT Prep. I was never confident in Math, so spent 70% of time in Math practice.

Online Tests
I took only GMAT Tests
GMAT Prep 1- 570
GMAT Prep 2- 690
GMAT Prep 3- 710
GMAT Prep 4- 770 (Q-50, V-46)

I always go between 46-48 in Quant and between 30-37 in Verbal, besides last GMAT Prep.

I took 30 days off from work and studied whole month (12 hrs a day). And after so much of hard work I was expecting at least 700.

The D-Day
I got 770 in GMAT Prep test (one day before the D-day), hence was confident that will get a good score.

The test started at 9 AM. AWA was easy and went fine (though I am yet to get my AWA score).

Quant was easy, but I took more time in some calculations, hence had to make guesses in last 3-4 questions. According to me, I did well in Q, but got only 46 :?

Verbal was a bad surprise. I had never seen such confusing SCs (despite SC being my strongest part). RC was ok leaving the last one, which was a never ending passage.

I did not get much questions on CR.

Had to make too many guesses in SC. Got 30 which was again below my expectations.

The Dilemma

Any ambitous and sincere person like me would definitely decide to take the exam again. However, my dilemma is that even after working so hard I got only 620 (and now I strongly believe that luck plays a major role in GMAT). I am not sure about the next score that I will get if I retake it. I am more than willing to work harder, but have various doubts:

1. Is there a better plan of study, which can gurantee me a 700+ score? If yes, what is it?

2. Even if I follow a better plan of study, should I take a chance... cos you never know what happens on the D-day and if I get a further lower score then I am gone.

3. Many friends and experts are telling me that I can get admission in top 60-50 B Schools, but I am not sure whether I will get what I want.

I may be wrong in saying that I have worked very hard and that's the limit.

I request all of you to please guide me and take me out of this utmost state of confusion.

Please help!!!!

Preeti

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by ozzy10fl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am
Hi Preeti,

Below was my post and I think it will help your situation.

Best,
Ozzy

https://www.beatthegmat.com/from-620-to- ... 17385.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 pm
do you think you may have overstudied with the 12 hours a day?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:42 pm
You burned yourself..If you work out, you will know that you should take breaks between your workout so your muscles will have enough time to recover and get bigger. Some guys go to gym everyday...and complain about not getting in shape ? Does it sound like your story ? Like everything else, our brain needs time to absorb and process the stuff we are loading to it...Take it easy...stay calm and you will be just fine.
GMAT DELIGHT