Circular Arrangement

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Circular Arrangement

by sandipgumtya » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 pm
At a meeting of the 7 Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Chief of Naval Operations does not want to sit next to the Chief of the National Guard Bureau. How many ways can the 7 Chiefs of Staff be seated around a circular table?
A-120
B-480
C-960
D-2520
E-5040
OA-B
These type of circular arrangement prob trouble me a lot.Experts help me how to tackle this and build a workable concepts about this.pl help.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm
To count CIRCULAR arrangements:

1. Place one element in the circle.
2. Count the number of ways to arrangement the REMAINING elements RELATIVE to the first element.
sandipgumtya wrote:At a meeting of the 7 Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Chief of Naval Operations does not want to sit next to the Chief of the National Guard Bureau. How many ways can the 7 Chiefs of Staff be seated around a circular table?
A-120
B-480
C-960
D-2520
E-5040
Once the Chief of Naval has been placed at the table, we get:
Number of options for the seat to the left of the Chief of Naval = 5. (Of the 6 remaining people, anyone but the Chief of the National Guard.)
Number of options for the seat to the right of the Chief of Naval = 4. (Of the 5 remaining people, anyone but the Chief of the National Guard.)
Number of ways to arrange the 4 remaining people = 4! = 24.
To combine these options, we multiply:
5*4*24 = 480.

The correct answer is B.

Similar problem:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/circular-arr ... 84925.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am
These problems are very easy on the GMAT if you've seen them before: given n people, there (n - 1)! ways to arrange them around a circle. (I'm assuming, of course, that there are no other restrictions.)

I wouldn't expect a basic circular permutation on test day: such a problem is challenging if you've never seen it before, but trivially easy if you have. The test writers don't like those kinds of problems, as you can imagine!

by sandipgumtya » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:18 am
thanks sir.but are these type very common on GMAT?How to build basic knowledge about this?any resource.

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:39 am
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In PS, IVY approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer.

for n number people, the number of cases for sitting around in a circular table is (n-1)!. Essentially for this question you need to calculate the 'total number of cases - (number of cases the CNO and CNGB sit right next to each other). Remember that CNO can either sit on the right or the left of CNGB, and consider them as a group.

Then it's (7-1)!-2*(6-1)!=6!-2*5!=(6-2)*5!=4*5!=4*120=480, therefore the answer is B

www.mathrevolution.com
l The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS that allow anyone to easily solve GMAT math questions.

l The easy-to-use solutions. Math skills are totally irrelevant. Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

l The most effective time management for GMAT math to date allowing you to solve 37 questions with 10 minutes to spare

l Hitting a score of 45 is very easy and points and 49-51 is also doable.

l Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons at https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson

Our advertising video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8

by sandipgumtya » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:09 pm
hi Mitch,
Is there any easier method to do?I really find this topic confusing.can u suggest something easier to remember and tackle all such type of prob.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
sandipgumtya wrote:Is there any easier method to do?I really find this topic confusing.can u suggest something easier to remember and tackle all such type of prob.
Generally the permutations problems on the GMAT require one to go somewhat beyond the basic permutations rules in order to figure out the answer.

So, as is the case when one does this problem, often one can't just apply a simple formula or method that one has memorized and expect to get to the answer. Rather one has to go beyond that to analyzing the logic of the situation and figuring out how to apply a formula or general method in combination with some additional reasoning.

It's possible, Sandip, that the problems you are having with these types of questions stem from your understanding of how they work not being clear enough. If you don't really get how permutations work, then you will be rather challenged to figure out how to set things up to get the answer to a question like this one.

So my suggestion to you is to unconfuse yourself by really figuring out how permutations and combinations work.

Maybe this blog post I wrote will help. https://infinitemindprep.com/permutation ... difficult/

Meanwhile, here is another way to answer this question. Maybe you will find this method easier to understand.

You can start by finding all the possible arrangements of the seven people around a circular table. That's pretty simple; it's just (7 - 1)! = 6! = 720.

We now have the maximum number of arrangements of 7 people around a circular table, and also we have a restriction. Because of that restriction the number of possible arrangements will be fewer than 720.

So already we can eliminate all the answer choices that are greater than 720, and we are down to A and B as possibilities.

Now we can get to the answer by subtracting from 720 all the arrangements where the two chiefs who won't sit together are sitting together.

Let's act as if the two of them sitting together were one unit.

If there were not an issue, the Chief of Naval Operations could sit to the right or the left of the Chief of the National Guard Bureau.

So there are two possible units composed of the two of them, Naval Operations Chief on the right and Naval Operation Chief on the left.

For each of those units there are five other chiefs.

So in a sense we have six units, the two of them, and the five others, and there are two different ways to arrange the two of them, so we have two sets of six units, each of which sets we can arrange around the table.

For each of those two sets there are (6 - 1)! = 5! = 120 different ways to arrange them around the table.

So we have 2 x 120 = 240 arrangements in which the Chief of Naval Operations and the Chief of the National Guard Bureau could sit together, if they were both willing to.

However, they are not both willing to sit next to each other. So we need to subtract those arrangements. 720 - 240 = 480.

So the correct answer is B.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by sandipgumtya » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 am
Thanks Marty,
Its clearer now.Thanks.