CIO!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

CIO!

by gmat_perfect » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 am
Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period. Elizabeth Faue's study of the labor movement in Minneapolis argues that women were marginalized by union bureaucratization and by the separation of unions from the community politics from which industrial unionism had emerged. Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions at the community level, contributions that made women's ultimate fate within the city's labor movement all the more poignant: as unions reached the peak of their strength in the 1940s, the community base that had made their success possible and to which women's contributions were so vital became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life.

In her study of CIO industrial unions from the 1930s to the 1970s, Nancy F. Gabin also acknowledges the pervasive male domination in the unions, but maintains that women workers were able to create a political space within some unions to advance their interests as women. Gabin shows that, despite the unions' tendency to marginalize women's issues, working women's demands were a constant undercurrent within the union, and she stresses the links between the unions' women activists and the wave of feminism that emerged in the 1960s.

Which of the following can be inferred regarding the "gender ideology" mentioned in the highlighted text?

(A) It prevented women from making significant contributions to the establishment of industrial unions.
(B) It resulted from the marginalization of women in industrial unions.
(C) It had a significant effect on the advancement of women's issues within industrial unions.
(D) Its primary tenets were nondiscrimination and inclusion.
(E) Its effects were mitigated by the growth of industrial unions.

[spoiler]OA: C[/spoiler]

Why NOT A?

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by szy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:33 pm
Yeah I have the same question to this problem...however I chose B as my answer. Here's my reasoning...

The passage states:
"Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period."

So to break it down, the passage is saying that ALTHOUGH union organizations emerged under a time that embraced the ideas of equality, the ROLE of women in these unions reflected the actual idea of gender ideology of the time. Gender ideology, to my understanding, is the belief of the types of roles male and female should play in society based on traditional ideas or what's considered "appropriate" for each GMAT. So when the author mentions gender ideology in the above mentioned context, he's saying that although they embraced the idea of equality, there was still gender ideology...and that, to me, was another way of saying/suggesting that women were marginalized w/in the industry and not treated equally.

Is my understanding of the quoted passage completely off? Am I reading over something or not thinking in the right direction? The excerpt I quoted above doesn't infer or give any hint of how gender ideology effected the advancement of women's issues within the industry (as answer C mentions). One may pick C if they read further in the passage, but I thought with these types of questions you should only stay within the cited sentence or read the sentences before.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by FightWithGMAT » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm
gmat_perfect wrote:Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period. Elizabeth Faue's study of the labor movement in Minneapolis argues that women were marginalized by union bureaucratization and by the separation of unions from the community politics from which industrial unionism had emerged. Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions at the community level, contributions that made women's ultimate fate within the city's labor movement all the more poignant: as unions reached the peak of their strength in the 1940s, the community base that had made their success possible and to which women's contributions were so vital became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life.

In her study of CIO industrial unions from the 1930s to the 1970s, Nancy F. Gabin also acknowledges the pervasive male domination in the unions, but maintains that women workers were able to create a political space within some unions to advance their interests as women. Gabin shows that, despite the unions' tendency to marginalize women's issues, working women's demands were a constant undercurrent within the union, and she stresses the links between the unions' women activists and the wave of feminism that emerged in the 1960s.

Which of the following can be inferred regarding the "gender ideology" mentioned in the highlighted text?

(A) It prevented women from making significant contributions to the establishment of industrial unions.
(C) It had a significant effect on the advancement of women's issues within industrial unions.

Why NOT A?

Thanks.
Women did make significant contribution to prepare base for industrial unions by developing unions at community levels.
So gender ideology could not prevent the women from doing so.

I got stuck b/w B and C. Close reading revealed that B is reverse of the facts mentioned in the passage.
B says that marginalization caused gender ideology whereas the passage mentions that Gender ideology caused marginalization.

Actually C needs 2-3 readings to understand the deep meaning imbibed in words

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:57 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. Don't see a source. Please cite the source (author) of the problem so I can respond!

Note to those studying this: if I were you, I would NOT read / study problems that do not have the source cited. There are several very important reasons for this:

1) If you don't know the source, then you don't know whether you are compromising your future practice tests. What if the question is from the practice test you're about to take and now you see a question that you've already seen before? When that happens, it can blow the validity of your whole test! (Not if it happens just once, of course, but what if it happens multiple times?)

2) If you're taking a practice test and do see a question you've seen before, you'll probably answer it more quickly. This will give you a false sense of timing security because you now have a little more time... but that situation will NEVER be replicated on the real test.

3) The source might be bad. Do you want to study from a bad source? I don't!

Better Safe than Sorry!
:D
Whit

gmat_perfect wrote:Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period. Elizabeth Faue's study of the labor movement in Minneapolis argues that women were marginalized by union bureaucratization and by the separation of unions from the community politics from which industrial unionism had emerged. Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions at the community level, contributions that made women's ultimate fate within the city's labor movement all the more poignant: as unions reached the peak of their strength in the 1940s, the community base that had made their success possible and to which women's contributions were so vital became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life.

Why NOT A?

Thanks.
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:55 am
I remember this question , Source GMATprep .

will put my reasoning soon about the question.

Between, guys go through two videos about RC from Ron's , they are mind blowing , especially the one about short pasages. This will change the way you look at RCs , my favorite video is about short passage though , but go in sequence so you make better sense.

Go in the order :
AUGUST 17 (long RC,how to read and how not to read, main idea )
September 9 (short RC , main idea, inference, strongly supported )

Following the above step, pick up all RCs you have done before, just look at them the way you are asked in the lecture and answer main point, organisation Questions, and you will see what I mean. Folowing this step, you can continue doing so to new RCs .

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:03 am
@FightwithGMAT :
B says that marginalization caused gender ideology whereas the passage mentions that Gender ideology caused marginalization.
You have hit the target : ). It is true that one has to read the whole long clause starting with Although . I ,also, read the following setence to get the context .

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:07 am
I find this answer choice incorrect for the reasons of bolded part . There is nothing about establishment until this part of the passage. Half part of this choice is correct, misleading to appear it as correct answer choice. Notice that it is answer choice A . They do their best to entice us to incorrect answer choices.
Last edited by GMATMadeEasy on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:40 am
Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period. Elizabeth Faue's study of the labor movement in Minneapolis argues that women were marginalized by union bureaucratization and by the separation of unions from the community politics from which industrial unionism had emerged. Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions at the community level, contributions that made women's ultimate fate within the city's labor movement all the more poignant: as unions reached the peak of their strength in the 1940s, the community base that had made their success possible and to which women's contributions were so vital became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life.

Tough RC question but posters above are hitting the nail on the head. Notice the use of the pronoun "it" in the answer choices - think about the way pronoun use can make SC sentences ambiguous, it can do the same here! So let's replace IT with "gender ideology" in the answer choices.

(A) Gender Ideology prevented contribution... tempting choice BUT directly contradicted in the passage "Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions at the community level"

(B) Gender Ideology resulted from the marginalization... again tempting, particularly if we don't sub in for IT. Gender Ideology was already prevailing (think of a large underlying social belief), it definitely might have been a reason for the marginalization of women in unions but it wasn't caused by something in unions.

(C) CORRECT. Gender Ideology did have a significant effect of women's issues in unions

(D) Gender Ideology's primary tenets were non-discrimination and inclusion... notice the sentence structure, although society was starting to embrace non-discrimination and inclusion, the Gender Ideology trumped it within unions (meaning that the Gender Ideology beat out non-discrimination and inclusion (not that it was defined by them).

(E) Gender Ideology's effects were mitigated.... we don't learn anything about what impacted the Gender Ideology of the day, on the impact that Ideology had on other things (namely the unions).

Hope this helps clear things up a bit!
:)
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

Followed by:1 members

by pnk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 pm
GMATMadeEasy wrote:
I find this answer choice correct for the reasons of bolded part . There is nothing about establishment until this part of the passage. Half part of this choice correct, misleading to make it orrect answer choice. Notice that it is choice A . They do their best to entice us to incorrect answer choices.
I think you meant A incorrect. Nice catch for A being incorrect - I missed that angle. C appears a better choice thro POE

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 am
@pnk : You are right.; I made too many typos. will edit my repsonse.