Chicago and Calumet Rivers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Chicago and Calumet Rivers

by kaulnikhil » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 pm
The Chicago and Calumet Rivers originally flowed into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan, but having been redirected by constructing canals so that the water now empties into the Mississippi by way of the Illinois River.
A. Rivers originally flowed into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan, but having been redirected by constructing
B. Rivers had originally flowed into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan, but they have been redirected by constructing
C. Rivers, which originally flowed into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan but have been redirected by the construction of
D. Rivers, originally flowing into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan, but having been redirected by the construction of
E. Rivers, originally flowing into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan, have been redirected through the construction of
Source -Gmat Prep
[spoiler]How come originally flowing into the St. Lawrence by way of Lake Michigan modify Rivers ?? Isnt it an adverbial modifier (an -ing modifier coming after a comma)..In case it is then it needs a clause ...

Same issue here
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/min ... t6094.html

and according to Ron comma + ing setup are supposed to modify entire clause....and not phrases ..[/spoiler].

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 pm
Hi Kaulnikhil,

-ing modifier typically modifies a clause, but it can also modify a noun or noun phrase. This question is a perfect example of that, and not the 1st one I see in an official Q. It's just that the GMAT prefers to use -ing introduced modifiers to modify clauses, and relative pronoun introduced modifiers (which, who, whom, whose, when, where, that...) to modify the noun or noun phrase before the comma.

A is a sentence fragment. "The rivers flowed..., but having been redirected"

B commits the verb tense error of pairing the past perfect 'had flowed' with the present perfect 'they have been redirected'

C and D are also sentence fragments.

E is correct. Much more detailed explanation can be found as this is GMATPrep Question 2237. Set topic='verb tense AND Modifers' and difficulty='600-700' in the Drill Generator to practice similar questions.

Good luck,
-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:25 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. Patrick has it right - the normal setup is for a "comma ing" to modify the entire preceding clause. In this problem, we have some setups that do not have a preceding clause. If no preceding clause exists, then the "comma ing" modifier cannot modify the preceding clause. :)

In this case, all we've got is a preceding noun, so that's what it has to modify. If there were a preceding clause, though, then you would expect it to modify the whole clause.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:33 am
What I have realized in this case is that comma has been used before verb ing is to clarify the flowing of both the rivers.

Example:

X and Y flowing into the Z are the most important rivers of the country.

=> It means that only river Y has flown into Z.

Again,

X and Y, flowing into the Z are the most important rivers.

Experts, please comment on my thinking. We are confused about the issue of "comma + Verbing". As per OG, Comma + Verbing will modify the entire preceding clause.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm
As per OG, Comma + Verbing will modify the entire preceding clause.
This is true in the vast majority of cases - and it is true when there actually is a preceding clause.

A clause is a sequence of words that includes a conjugated verb.

In your example, there is no clause before the "comma -ing):

X and Y, flowing into the Z, are the most important rivers.

(Note: I added a second comma.) "X and Y" are the subjects - nouns - of the sentence. "Flowing into the Z" cannot modify the preceding clause because there is no preceding clause in the sentence.

In terms of whether your example without the commas means "flowing into the Z" only refers to Y and whether the example with the commas means "flowing into the Z" refers to both X and Y... honestly, if I saw the sentence without the commas, I would be confused about the meaning of that sentence. If you want to mention two rivers but only one flows into the Z, you'd want to put that info first: Y, flowing into the Z, and X are the most important rivers in the country. Now I know for sure that the "Z" info applies only to Y. If you put the Z info after the compound subject X and Y, with or without commas, then the info is ambiguous.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yyz5028 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:30 am
Hi Stacey,

I have a question regarding choice E). MGMT SC guide says that the tense of "V-ing" form is determined by the main verb tense of the sentence. In E), the main verb, "have", indicates the present perfect. Apparently, "flowing" cannot take the present perfect tense since the word "originally" tells us the these two rivers have stopped flowing into the St. Lawrence. Is there anything wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks a lot!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:
As per OG, Comma + Verbing will modify the entire preceding clause.
This is true in the vast majority of cases - and it is true when there actually is a preceding clause.

A clause is a sequence of words that includes a conjugated verb.

In your example, there is no clause before the "comma -ing):

X and Y, flowing into the Z, are the most important rivers.

(Note: I added a second comma.) "X and Y" are the subjects - nouns - of the sentence. "Flowing into the Z" cannot modify the preceding clause because there is no preceding clause in the sentence.

In terms of whether your example without the commas means "flowing into the Z" only refers to Y and whether the example with the commas means "flowing into the Z" refers to both X and Y... honestly, if I saw the sentence without the commas, I would be confused about the meaning of that sentence. If you want to mention two rivers but only one flows into the Z, you'd want to put that info first: Y, flowing into the Z, and X are the most important rivers in the country. Now I know for sure that the "Z" info applies only to Y. If you put the Z info after the compound subject X and Y, with or without commas, then the info is ambiguous.
Thanks Stacy for the clarification.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:32 am
I have a question regarding choice E). MGMT SC guide says that the tense of "V-ing" form is determined by the main verb tense of the sentence. In E), the main verb, "have", indicates the present perfect. Apparently, "flowing" cannot take the present perfect tense since the word "originally" tells us the these two rivers have stopped flowing into the St. Lawrence. Is there anything wrong with my reasoning?
Use the full context of the words sitting there. Is it still true that the two rivers were originally flowing into the St. L? Yes. :)

Remember that present perfect can mean something that is still happening today, but it can also mean something that is still true today. And, wherever they flowed originally, that fact is still true - that's where they flowed originally.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm
IMO E
--------