Chances calculator by Aringo.com with 99 lines–predictive?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sarnermark9 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 am
thunder78 wrote:How did you evaluate the strength of your own application and essays? this is a big part of the points and it seems a bit questionable...
Good question. I don't have a problem evaluating anything on my application except for my essays. That's the one totally subjective part of the test and not knowing how to rate my writing skills kind of spoils the whole point of the exercise. Reminded me of doing job evaluations but with no feedback. Anyway, I rated myself (my app) 'strong' and just want to get on with it.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sheriff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 am
Yep, totally subjective, but you should give a realistic evaluation of your application in order to get an accurate prediction.

by sarnermark9 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 pm
Well, we'll see. My GMAT's good and my recommendations should be very decent - again, it's the essays that are questionable. I figured out what I want to say, I just don't know if I said it well - that's where I'd really like some feedback. Going ahead with 'strong' application.

by sarnermark9 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 am
Sheriff wrote:Same here, it got me thinking and i remembered things that happened years ago and worth mentioning on the resume, like promotions and projects i ran.
I wouldn't get too nostalgic about stuff from way back - my guess is they don't even look at your early dates. In fact they keep chopping the length of all the documentation, just to let you know how much competition you have and how much they have to wade through. No matter what, keep it short.

by pumarap » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 am
I think this test scores easy on the GMAT because even though its important, an average score can be trumped by a really impressive essay. But then, that's Aringo's business - helping you write a better essay. Generally I'm thinking great or not so great, the GMAT score is not the deal-maker.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gorelik52 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 am
sarnermark9 wrote:Well, we'll see. My GMAT's good and my recommendations should be very decent - again, it's the essays that are questionable. I figured out what I want to say, I just don't know if I said it well - that's where I'd really like some feedback. Going ahead with 'strong' application.
There are good essay writing samples online at mba preparation sites. Everything is online. Good luck.

by benwillben » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm
I'm seriously wondering if I should apply to even one or two of the top schools with a GMAT of 680.

by cyberhawk » Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 am
benwillben wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I should apply to even one or two of the top schools with a GMAT of 680.
You should if you have a solid profile. Mine is also 680, which is inside the 80% range for INSEAD.I applied and they have invited me for interviews.

by arnasol78 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 am
benwillben wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I should apply to even one or two of the top schools with a GMAT of 680.
Absolutely. 680 is on the GMAT low end according to the averages but still within consideration. Lots of people will apply with a 680, which is not such a bad score. If the rest of your application is good, you have a decent chance even at the top schools. The GMAT is not the only factor to be considered.

by pumarap » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 am
arnasol78 wrote:
Absolutely. 680 is on the GMAT low end according to the averages but still within consideration. Lots of people will apply with a 680, which is not such a bad score. If the rest of your application is good, you have a decent chance even at the top schools. The GMAT is not the only factor to be considered.
A 680 is the low end of the 80th percentile. Even though the median is 700 or above, you should still get on the pile of 'definite consideration' with it, but the competition will be greater. If you're happy with everything else, I say go for it.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Vendetta » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 am
Hi Sheriff,

You can also gauge your chances of getting admitted in a top business school by using the tool https://tinyurl.com/acrp3n7 "Your Chances for B-School" and trust me it gives you the accurate result. This tool will let you know your realistic chances of getting an admission in a top business schools.

Cheers!
Vendetta

Sheriff wrote:Anyone around here tried the crazy-detailed (not to say exhausting...) admission chances evaluation tool on Aringo.com?

I played with it got a "competitive-to-stretch" closer to stretch at Columbia and INSEAD and stretch at Chicago and Wharton.

I am pretty sure I am WAY more competitive at these schools than this tool predicts (extremely strong work experience, 4 promotions, international brand, exceptional achievements, manage 8 people now).

Is there anyone here who used this tool and then got real life result in any of these schools? was the prediction any good?

by bertollig29 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 am
Sheriff wrote:Anyone around here tried the crazy-detailed (not to say exhausting...) admission chances evaluation tool on Aringo.com?

I played with it got a "competitive-to-stretch" closer to stretch at Columbia and INSEAD and stretch at Chicago and Wharton.

I am pretty sure I am WAY more competitive at these schools than this tool predicts (extremely strong work experience, 4 promotions, international brand, exceptional achievements, manage 8 people now).

Is there anyone here who used this tool and then got real life result in any of these schools? was the prediction any good?

[/quote]

This is a self-assessment tool and you may have underrated yourself. Or your GMAT is average. If that's the case, try revising your essays and make your extensive WE section more concise. And if you feel competitive and confident, don't let anything stop you from applying to Booth and Wharton.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gorelik52 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 pm
I'll say it again. Once you have the GMAT score you feel you can't improve on, move on to the rest of your application, where you get the chance to express yourself. It's unworthy of you to let an average GMAT stop you from reaching your dreams, isn't it?

by lynchpin909 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 am
Any comments so far on the new single essay qualification for Harvard and other essay revisions at Wharton and others? I'm wondering what would be a reasonable length for a single essay?

by lynchpin909 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:07 am
I hadn't noticed that this test changed their essay section to account for the new requirement for HBS and others because I did this test a while ago. I will go back and look, just to see how it changes the scoring. I'm hoping it will give me a better idea of how the single-essay format works. I'd love to hear from someone about this.