career-MBA PHD application

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

career-MBA PHD application

by makkwende » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:58 am
Dear consultants,

I have a Bachelors and Masters in Linguistics with GPA's 2.75 and 3.12 respectively from a leading university in Africa 1998.After the degree i worked as a translator and interpreter for a couple of years and switched careers.Since 2000 i have been working in HR (Human Resources) in the areas of Training and Development ,quality assurance and recruitment.I currently still work in HR and also volunteer as a Vice President of Communications in an HR organisation.I also have HR qualifications from london 2006 and 2008 respectively.
I took the GMAT two days ago and had a horrible score 510 so im looking to retake it.
I want to go into a PHD business program.
I have the following questions for you:
-Without a business undergraduate and graduate degree do i have to take an MBA first? I really dont want to do an MBA now and would rather get into the PHD program at once.What are my chances of admission without an MBA?
-With over 15yrs work experience especially in HR which is a business management area, does this count for anything towards my application process?
-Is there any way i could get into the PHD business program without taking this gruesome GMAT?
-Do i have to take some MBA courses to fill up my background?
Anything to assist me with this enquiry, is highly appreciated please do respond.
Cheers
Rine x

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:42 pm
Dear Rine x,

Whether or not you need a business degree or to have taken some undergraduate business coursework depends on the school's requirements for admission. Likewise, whether or not you have to take the GMAT or can take the GRE depends on the school. You will see some variance on these requirements, so you will need to check each PhD program's admissions requirements to determine if you qualify and what standardized test is necessary. For many PhD programs, you do not have to have a master's degree as you will earn one during the program. I do think having substantial industry experience can be an advantage, but you need to present it that way and show the admissions committees in your applications why this experience is an asset to you for the PhD program.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by makkwende » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 am
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear Rine x,

Whether or not you need a business degree or to have taken some undergraduate business coursework depends on the school's requirements for admission. Likewise, whether or not you have to take the GMAT or can take the GRE depends on the school. You will see some variance on these requirements, so you will need to check each PhD program's admissions requirements to determine if you qualify and what standardized test is necessary. For many PhD programs, you do not have to have a master's degree as you will earn one during the program. I do think having substantial industry experience can be an advantage, but you need to present it that way and show the admissions committees in your applications why this experience is an asset to you for the PhD program.

Good luck,
Lisa
Thank you so much Lisa.I will go ahead and contact these schools and see what happens.
Rine x