Candidate Evaluation and advice request

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Candidate Evaluation and advice request

by thompsondr1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 pm
I'm planning on applying to MBA programs this fall and would appreciate your your advice about whether the I schools I plan on applying to are realistic and what I can do between now and this fall to help my chances. A little about me...

28 yr. old caucasian male
740 GMAT (V92%, Q88%, 5.5)
2.75 from the University of Texas (major - Philosophy and minor - Business Administration)
After college I taught English abroad for 3 years, then have worked at an insurance brokerage firm that only works with PE firms for 2 years
I've had a decent amount of face time with clients and worked on some special projects but nothing amazing
2 promotions and pay raises
No professional management experience
Community Service chairman for local UT alumni assoc.

The schools I am considering are NYU, Yale, UVA, and Cornell. Last year I applied to Chicago and UVA but was rejected at both. Since then I have had one promotion and taken 3 classes (Beg. Corporate Finance, Inter. Corporate Finance & Statistics), making an A in each. I am considering taking another (Business Valuation) but am wondering if my efforts wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. Do you see a big difference between 3 or 4 classes for an alternative transcript? I took 2 accounting and 2 calculus classes in college and did decent. Obviously I am trying to make up for my lackluster grades. What should I work on before this fall (outside of work)? Are these schools realistic or am I dreaming?

Another quick question: I want to go into asset management post-graduation but I have no experience and finance is not exactly booming right now. Should I focus on something else on my essays (such as staying in my field)?

Thank you for your time,

Ryan

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:24 pm
Hello,

I think the three courses are enough; a fourth wouldn’t be necessary. With the three courses and the strong GMAT you can credibly assert that your undergrad grades don’t represent your actual scholastic ability.

To boost your chances at the schools you mention, I suggest (1) gaining additional leadership roles at work (and having some insight/learning to share about it), (2) continuing extracurricular leadership with anecdotes to demonstrate it, (3) making a strong case for your goals, and (4) taking a close critical look at your prior applications to see where you fell short in the presentation and where you could have done better.

Regarding point 3 above, goals – I would never advise you to make something up that isn’t your goal. You’re correct that planning on a career switch to asset management in this climate is problematic. So develop a strong case for how and why doing so is right for you, build the bridge to the goals, including concrete steps for how you plan to obtain a position (beyond relying on the recruiting) and a compelling case for why you are marketable to such firms. If you can’t do that, then it seems you should reconsider your actual goals, not just your stated goals. (Also, you can acknowledge the challenge and address it directly.)

Regarding point 4, reviewing your applications – many, many times I have seen highly qualified reapplicants whose first applications just didn’t do the job, people who I’m certain would have been admitted if they’d made great presentations.

I think you would have a shot at your new target schools if you create applications that are more than competent -- applications that excite the admissions committees.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com