Can someone pleaseexplain why I need to eliminate option E ?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
It was extremely discouraging to learn that the bank, with whom I have had a savings account for over twenty years, could not open a checking account for me because I did not have proper identification.

a. same
b. that the bank with which I have had a savings account for over twenty years
c. that the bank, with who I have had a savings account for over twenty years
d.that the bank, with that I have had a savings account for over twenty years
e. that the bank, where I have had a savings account for over twenty years

OA B

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 pm
focusgmat wrote:It was extremely discouraging to learn that the bank, with whom I have had a savings account for over twenty years, could not open a checking account for me because I did not have proper identification.

a. same
b. that the bank with which I have had a savings account for over twenty years
c. that the bank, with who I have had a savings account for over twenty years
d.that the bank, with that I have had a savings account for over twenty years
e. that the bank, where I have had a savings account for over twenty years

OA B
where -- has no referend
where should stand for a place ..

by focusgmat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 pm
Thank you for your prompt response.
However, I am still unclear on why E is not the answer choice.
Isn't 'where' in E referring to 'the bank' ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:17 pm
focusgmat, you are correct; 'where' refers to 'the bank' in answer E.

E needs to have a comma at the end of the underlined portion to separate the subordinate clause 'where....20yrs' from the sentence core. By placing a comma at the beginning of the this subordinate clause, the author makes it necessary to close the subordinate clause with another comma.

Correct: The bank, where I have an account, has declared bankruptcy.
Correct: The bank where I have an account has declared bankruptcy.
Incorrect: The bank, where I have an account has declared bankruptcy.

What is the source of the Q please? This question is not, in my opinion, an accurate reflection of what you will see on the GMAT. I've never seen an official GMAT or GMAT prep SC question that uses the pronoun 'I', or a question in which the only thing missing from a wrong answer is a comma. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,
-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

by focusgmat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:31 pm
Hi Patrick,

The source of this question is Powerscore SC bible. I rechecked the question and the part underlined after reading your post.

I am sorry that I extended the underline until the second comma.Following is the corrected underlining of the sentence in PS SC bible.

It was extremely discouraging to learn that the bank, with whom I have had a savings account for over twenty years, could not open a checking account for me because I did not have proper identification.

Could you please explain.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm
What is the source of this question? I don't think that the question accurately reflects SCs on the GMAT.

E contains an error of punctuation. The commas should be removed so that it reads:

It was extremely discouraging to learn that the bank where I have had a savings account for over twenty years could not open a checking account for me because I did not have proper identification.

No commas should surround where I have had a savings account for over twenty years because this information is necessary for the meaning of the sentence. Which bank is the sentence discussing? The bank where I have had a savings account for over twenty years.

The unneeded commas are the only error in E. I've never seen on the GMAT an answer choice whose only error was one of punctuation.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by Patrick_GMATFix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm
Hey focusgmat. Thanks for providing the source and double-checking what is underlined. In light of your update I can say that I have no idea why B is better than E. If we put aside E for a second, I don't see how B can be correct because it has only 1 comma instead of the 2 that would be needed to offset the subordinate clause. B says something like "It was bad to learn that the bank with which I worked, could not open an account". The placement of this comma, in my opinion, would make this an incorrect sentence.

Sorry I can't help. I may be missing something.
  • Ask me about tutoring.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm
Patrick_GMATFix wrote:Hey focusgmat. Thanks for providing the source and double-checking what is underlined. In light of your update I can say that I have no idea why B is better than E. If we put aside E for a second, I don't see how B can be correct because it has only 1 comma instead of the 2 that would be needed to offset the subordinate clause. B says something like "It was bad to learn that the bank with which I worked, could not open an account". The placement of this comma, in my opinion, would make this an incorrect sentence.

Sorry I can't help. I may be missing something.
Answer choice B correctly removes all the commas:

It was extremely discouraging to learn that the bank with which I have had a savings account for over twenty years could not open a checking account for me because I did not have proper identification.

No commas are needed as per the reason I gave above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by Patrick_GMATFix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: Answer choice B correctly removes all the commas:
Thanks for your help GMATGuru. Your comment above may not be accurate. Please consider focusgmat's last post.
focusgmat wrote:I am sorry that I extended the underline until the second comma.Following is the corrected underlining of the sentence in PS SC bible.

In fact, the 2nd comma is not underlined, so it is part of every answer including B.

On a related note, I don't know what's wrong with E

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm
Patrick_GMATFix wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: Answer choice B correctly removes all the commas:
Thanks for your help GMATGuru. Your comment above may not be accurate. Please consider focusgmat's last post.
focusgmat wrote:I am sorry that I extended the underline until the second comma.Following is the corrected underlining of the sentence in PS SC bible.

In fact, the 2nd comma is not underlined, so it is part of every answer including B.
If the comma is not underlined in the original source material, then there is no correct answer. Another webpage that discussed this question did include the comma in the underlined portion of the sentence.

Since this question seems inherently flawed -- even without the comma issue -- best just to take away the following advice:

Information not necessary for the meaning of the sentence often will be surrounded by commas; information necessary for the meaning of the sentence generally shouldn't be surrounded by commas.

So, in order to be correct, answer choice B should not include the surrounding commas.

(Notice that in the sentence above the phrase in order to be correct is surrounded by commas. Why? Because the phrase could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence: So answer choice B should not include the surrounding commas.)

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3