Can I make the cut?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can I make the cut?

by risingsaisha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:27 pm
I'm 31(OMG!)/f based in California and Mumbai. I shuttle between the two cities for work and have residences in both cities and hold a green card.

I do not have a good reason for majoring in Statistics, a subject I don't enjoy very much but I guess my fate was decided by my parents. I took a lot of pain to get certifications and diplomas in Software Engineering while I was still in college. My GPA is average but I graduated 4th in my class of 50.

Work:
> I have 10 years of work experience; I have been with my current employer for 8 years and have been a key contributor in it's growth from a start-up to a multi million public company.
> My career path so far has been: software engineer (2.5 yrs)-> lead technologist (2 yrs) -> project manager (2 yrs) -> product manager (2 yrs) -> senior manager pre-sales & business development (1.5yr)
> I have led and mentored teams of 15 people; some of my engineers joined me fresh from college and continued to work with me till I moved to business development.
> Since we have several global subsidiaries, I have had the opportunity to interact with people from different places and cultures
> I have worked with customers and partners from tier 1 companies including RIM, LG, Nokia etc

Outside Work:
> I have been a strong supporter and volunteer of WorldVision India for the past 10 years. Apart from volunteering, I continue to sponsor 4 children through the organization
> I was the Youth Secretary in my church in Mumbai for 10 years and the Sunday School Secretary for 4 years - basically thats how I spent my weekends before I got married!
> I have organized several fund raisers and events for my church and organized blood donation camps and education camps while in college
> I continue to volunteer for 2ndmile.org in the bay area and with some church activities but not as a leader and not as regularly as I would like to.
> My only involvement with sports unfortunately is that I'm a crazed New England Patriots fan - Go Pats!
> I like woodworking and LOVE power tools and spend time with my camera and amateur photographers whenever possible. I love to cook but am a terrible cook! (I'm not giving up though :))
> I'm a great listener and end up being the agony aunt in all my circles

At this stage in my career I want to take up an MBA only from a tier1 BSchool. If I am not accepted I will continue to work and probably take up an executive MBA some day. It is very important for me to attend a school that has strong diversity.

My main reasons for doing an MBA are
> to get a better hang of global business practices
> to develop communication and negotiation skills that I lack
> meet and interact with people who come from very different backgrounds

Strategy, Marketing, Non-profit and Entrepreneurship are interesting areas for me.

My questions for you:

1. Do you think I can make it to a top business school like Harvard, Stanford, MIT, INSEAD or TUCK?
2. What should I underplay in my application and what should I highlight?
3. What should be my target GMAT score to make my case stronger? Would a 700+ do?
4. What should my recommendation letters look like?
5. I have not been as involved with volunteering in the US, will that affect my case? Can I do something different now?

Okay too much information and too many questions! But please help, I really need some serious advice as this is probably the biggest decision I have had to make in a long long time.

Thanks much in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:57 am
1. Do you think I can make it to a top business school like Harvard, Stanford, MIT, INSEAD or TUCK? Your profile is attractive and unique which will help to build a strong application. Top business schools are possibilities if you get a strong GMAT score and can connect with an aspect of the program that fits well with your career goals (ie. an area of concentration, a learning style, etc.)

2. What should I underplay in my application and what should I highlight? You probably should not focus much on the fact that your choice of Stats was haphazard and place more emphasis on your career progression, leadership roles, volunteer roles, and clear vision for your future.

3. What should be my target GMAT score to make my case stronger? Would a 700+ do? A 700+ would be great. You should be fine as long as you are solidly within the 80% score ranges (preferably toward the high end) for your chosen programs.

4. What should my recommendation letters look like? Your LORs should be written by individuals who know you well and can clearly articulate your strengths and accomplishments as well as how an MBA will impact your future goals. Don't just aim for individuals with lofty titles - select people who can write about you in detail.

5. I have not been as involved with volunteering in the US, will that affect my case? Can I do something different now? Not volunteering in the US is not a dealbreaker. Many international students have not. The key is to show that you are involved with activities outside of the workplace and that you are a well rounded individual. B-schools can see through last minute volunteer efforts so you should not waste time loading up on US volunteer experience unless you find an opportunity you are particularly passionate about.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options