can I get admitted to a good business school?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello Stacy -

Here is a little bit about me -
-----------------------------------
GMAT - not taken, I think score will be ~ 650 to 700 although I am studying hard to get beyond 700.

GPA - Undergrad - University of Pune, India, first class with distinction, definitely more than 3.5, Mech Engg
Graduate - 3.9 Mech Engg from Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY.

Resume - 2.5 yrs exp as product development engg (as a mechanical engg). Will be 3.5 yrs by the time I apply.

Publications - Three (all technical)

Extra interests -
sports - team member on softball team last year, captain of the same team this year - I am confident the team will do good this year.

I am planning to go into operations or supply chain mgmt.
-------------------------------------
A few questions -

1) My employer will pay tuition for the program, but unfortunately there are no good schools around me. Are online programs any good? If they are, can you suggest me a few.

2) Does my country of origin reduce my chances of getting into good school (luckily I am not into IT)

Thanks a lot!!!
A.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 pm
:lol: I like your second question and its comment. so much fuzz with IIM (c) ( Indian IT Male )

on serious note i want to ask further to Stacy that 'team captain of certain sport or member/head of some organising committe' at college level add value in your app package ''significantly''?

by axisymmetric » Thu May 17, 2007 9:30 am
Well the point I plan to make in my applications is not just being the captain -its about building a good team and keep players motivated to win.

All people on the team are pretty much working, married and what not..so they have commitments and I need to talk them into showing up at practice and games and perform good.

I hope under my captaincy the team does good. Season starts next week and I am excited.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 pm
The online programs have their benefits - flexibility is one of them! It really depends on your goals.

Being from India could "hurt" you in the same way that a white male gets hurt in this process. There is more competition. That said, many are admitted, and if you are a good fit for a program it should not be a problem.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Hello Amy,

I asked the following question to Stacy before you joined the forum. Can you give me your opinion about my profile. My aim is to get into one of the top ten universities.

One thing that changed from when I wrote to Stacy is the GMAT. I took the GMAT a few weeks back and scored 730 40V, 50Q 5 on AWA.

Does it hurt to have a MS from a not so reputed university? I had to go to school which offered me a scholarship even if it meant going to a lower school. Now that I have worked and earned my own money I can spend it on a good school to get an MBA.

Thank you very much for helping all of us!

A.

axisymmetric wrote:Hello Stacy -

Here is a little bit about me -
-----------------------------------
GMAT - not taken, I think score will be ~ 650 to 700 although I am studying hard to get beyond 700.

GPA - Undergrad - University of Pune, India, first class with distinction, definitely more than 3.5, Mech Engg
Graduate - 3.9 Mech Engg from Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY.

Resume - 2.5 yrs exp as product development engg (as a mechanical engg). Will be 3.5 yrs by the time I apply.

Publications - Three (all technical)

Extra interests -
sports - team member on softball team last year, captain of the same team this year - I am confident the team will do good this year.

I am planning to go into operations or supply chain mgmt.
-------------------------------------
A few questions -

1) My employer will pay tuition for the program, but unfortunately there are no good schools around me. Are online programs any good? If they are, can you suggest me a few.

2) Does my country of origin reduce my chances of getting into good school (luckily I am not into IT)

Thanks a lot!!!
A.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:13 pm
Hi axisymmetric,

Your GMAT score is good - so that should only add to your profile. The competition is a little bit more fierce for people from overrepresented demographics, which just means the key is showing how you are unique.

Most candidates have a weakness, and as long as you can explain what happened and how you worked to overcome the weakness (e.g. I had to go to a less prominent school because of financial considerations, but I achieved excellent grades and learned a lot anyway) you should be fine.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting