Building an alternate transcript

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Building an alternate transcript

by NeilWatson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:37 pm
Hey,

I would like to build an alternate transcript for my application and had some questions as to what kind of classes I should be taking. I obviously don't want to spend thousands of dollars. I would also like to take the course online due to my work schedule. I've heard BYU is a good choice but I am also considering NYU. What kind of courses should I actually be looking for. Should they be credit courses or continuing-education courses. Also can anyone recommend any other online programs that would be good?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:23 am
Hi Neil,

Great question and it's awesome to see you being proactive about this before you apply! If your goal is to build an alternative transcript, it's probably to address specific academic shortcomings or gaps. If that's the case (as it is for most) then you really want to look for credit courses. Continuing education can be useful in establishing trajector or bolstering a story, but it won't go far if you didn't do well in quant courses in college. Online can be very convenient option - UCLA extension courses, for example, are a popular option. They have courses that span things like Stats or Math for MBAs. What you should be looking for are classes that not only address the issue you're trying to fix, but also set you up for an MBA. Stats, for example, is a useful course whereas chem probably won't get you very far. That was a really obvious example but you get the point.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have other questions!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NeilWatson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:49 pm
Thanks for the info. Do you have any personal experience with these classes? I am on a tight time limit with the application deadlines and I would like to take 2 courses. Would that be manageable with a full time job?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 am
Hi Neil,

Our clients have definitely taken UCLA extension courses in the past. Usually, they do 1 a quarter. Most had pretty demanding jobs so that's pretty doable. That said, I don't know what you do. If you're focused on R1 deadlines then you could feasibly do 2 in a quarter but just know it'll be really busy. UCLA itself doesn't limit how many you can take - they put that to your discretion.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!