Big Dip in GMAT Scores 650 (Q46, V33)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Big Dip in GMAT Scores 650 (Q46, V33)

by jonkil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:35 am
Hi guys,

I just answered the GMAT and got a score of 650 (Q46, V33). This score is a good way off from what I need and what I expected. I scored over 700 in a number of practice tests, so cannot really figure out what went wrong. My scores were:

GMAT Prep - 690
MGMAT- 710 (Q44,V42)
MGMAT- 710 (Q45,V41)
MGMAT - 720 (Q47,V41)

My preparation took over 3 months. I took the MGMAT classroom course and went through all their homework including the additional difficult parts. The homework covered most of OG13 and a part of the Verbal and Quantitative guides. I read the following MGMAT books front-to-back : SC, Advance Quant, Number Properties, and Word problems. I went through a number of MGMAT's question banks. I solved all 90 questions in the GMAT Prep software and a number of the additional 350 questions that can be purchased for $25.

What I am really surprised by is that despite scoring over 40 consistently in verbal, I received a thrashing in the real exam and managed only a 33. Moreover, I have no clue where I went wrong as I thought the exam was going really well until I clicked for the scores. Also, despite barely getting any sleep the night before, I was feeling quite energetic during the exam. My timing was impeccable as well. I was left with roughly 10 seconds after each of the sections and do not remember having rushed through or guessed more than 2 questions in each section

I have put in a colossal amount of work and am not sure how I can make an improvement without knowing where I went wrong!!!I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, especially with Verbal on the real exam as compared to practice tests and can advise on what I need to do next? Any relevant advice would be hugely appreciated.

Followed by:1 members

by Joeitaly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 am
Seems to me like you answered your own question. It has to do with the fact that you did not get enough sleep. Sitting for the real thing is not like taking practice CATs from what I have read. Especially with the new exam, you have to write an essay, then hit IR which can drain you mentally. Next Quant which you did well for your level. I think you whiffed on the verbal from a lack of sleep that finally caught up with you. You probably got fatigued when you were in the verbal section, made some stupid mistakes you did not even see and that is about it. People who sleep 8 hours the night before and do everything right still get fatigued, so doesn't it make sense that you did after not getting your proper rest prior to your test day? Just my thoughts anyway. Don't beat yourself up too much! You did a good job and can always retake it again if you want. You will crush this test if you get sleep! Be grateful that you are in the position you are! There are probably hundreds of people who would love to switch places with you. All they would have to do is sleep and they would get high 600s or 700+? Forget about it! Pat yourself on the back for getting a 650 with no sleep!

Now go take a nap!

Cheers,

Joe

by jonkil » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 am
Thanks for the encouragement mate ,of course I'll get the zzzs next time, but I stil think there is more I can do to improve my score, just need a focussed study plan - what I am stumped by is where to focus on?!!

I have a funny feeling that GMAT is trying to trip up students on the rules recommended by study providers, esp for sentence correction. For eg. I often see a split and go for the answer without bothering with the meaning of sentence and its context. Whilst this has worked for the MGMAT tests, it is possible that GMAT has tweaked its questions to catch people off guard - not sure if anyone else feels this way???

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by galak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am
I am going through something similar to your situation. you can read my post here
https://www.beatthegmat.com/help-failed- ... 16995.html

When it comes down to it, I don't think MGMAT CAT verbals are a good indicator of verbal ability. There scoring algorithm is way too forgiving. I'm a native speaker, but I have decided on taking the e-gmat course full verbal live course. Seems to be of good value. I had also contemplated taking the MGMAT in person course, but it seems that it may not be of much help for me.

Followed by:1 members

by Joeitaly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 am
MGMAT just posted a change in their CAT scoring going forward. Maybe it will not be as forgiving? Have you taken one recently?

To the Original Poster, I think you are correct in thinking that you cannot use shortcuts for the splits exclusively. They definitely try to trip us up. Always remember that all these other practice tests are not the real deal and they will probably be biased to make tests that go along with their "strategies." At the end of the day nothing will be like the real thing. Except of course, the real thing! Always better to use a few different strategies to ensure you pick the correct answer instead of just one and relying on faith...