Better to Raise My Quant Score or Both Quant / Verbal?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
On practice tests I generally score around the Low 40's in Quant (~70%) and high 30's (~85%) on Verbal for a cumulative score of about 650.

My goal is to get a 700 or greater on the actual test. Is it more advantageous to focus purely on raising my Quant skills or should I try to raise both. Keep in mind I only have about 1 month left to study before I take the exam.

I had spoken to a friend who got a 43quant and 42verbal and admissions consultants said that her quant score was too low.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mp2437 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 am
Hi there,

I agree with the admission consultant in that business schools look for a great overall score, but they are more concerned with your ability to handle numbers and math in business classes, so the quant portion of the GMAT addresses that.

If I were you, I would concentrate my studies there. Perhaps there are quicker wins for you in quant in studying tricks/tips of certain problems than to go through a grammar book and learn proper grammar (high 30's is a great verbal score).

Best of luck.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:04 pm
there's an unofficial 'rule' out there that states that business schools would ideally like a candidate with scores in the 80th percentile in BOTH quant and verbal. a 42 in verbal is quite good, probably closer to 90th percentile. a 43 in quant, however, is not as good. i think its probably in the 60-70th percentile range. in this sense, you'd want your Q to be hovering at around a 47+, so that you're near this "80/80" score.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7