Beating the GMAT!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:480

Beating the GMAT!

by CBA » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:12 pm
Hello,

It is the first time of writing in this excellent forum. I am sure it was a big jump for many GMAT takers. As a hope, we together will make more steps forward.

I am not happy since English is not my native language :L. I took the GMAT on the 20s of August, 2007. My grade was not as I had planned to. However, I did not work hard for that, so and absoloutly so, I will work to gain as great grade as possible. It is a matter of time to gain that. I have a feeling that I will get big difference with all of you friends. This is depending on me that how much work I send to get that.

This is my last report friends, give me please any feed back you have about my result report.

Verbal: 9 / 1%

Quantitative: 44 / 72%

Total: 430 / 20%

Analytical Writing: 3.5 / 16%

How much work I need to beat the 600?

You can obviously see that there is a big weakness in Verbal. I did my best that time to gain as biggest score as possible, however; for this time, the game will be different, amen. I am not a native English person. I am am engineer and Quantitative section has big difference than that of Verbal since it has big dependency on the language itself. What to do :(*

I am sure I have no any problem during graduates level of any business school. And that gread is not an indicator of me. However, I will do my best on this issue. and I will beat it (beatthegmat ;)).

I Will wait for your thanked responses. and Best wishes. Something else, I will be happy to know kindly friends via msn messenger to know them.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:17 am
Hi! Welcome to the group!

I would strongly recommend that you take a break from preparing for the GMAT and instead work on your English skills. Take a few English courses and/or get a tutor. You will need to greatly improve your understanding of the language to improve your verbal score, and to gain admission to any university where classes are taught in English. In business school, you will need to do a lot of writing, so you MUST improve your English skills.

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks for your response

by CBA » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:35 am
Hello,

Thanks alot mr. fsar45 for your kind response. I think I am not that much weak person in English since I have studied engineering for 5 years in the college. But, you know that English level in the exam is to high. It is not fear to judge about my level in thinking critically and by the way I am not a native speaker of English. However, I think there is a way to be prepared by less than 3 weeks to get a score above 550 at least.

Again, thank you so much fsar45. I am waiting for another responses.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Alphaholic » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am
Hey, CBA. I agree with the previous post. Obviously, you're a pretty smart guy if you've been involved in engineering this long. But, your English is somewhat broken (based on your last few forum posts). I think if you were better able to focus on the language, your GMAT score will improve as well. As you've said, part of the exam is being comfortable with the English language.

Good luck!

My weakness..

by CBA » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:05 am
Hi again my friends,

I am happy to know persons like you who wishes good luck for the others. In your imagination, how much of time I need to improve my Englsih to be in the level of GMAT where I can at least get 550?

If I get into the exam again, do you think my grade will be the same or it will be much better since any first taker of a GMAT exam wil face a real stressing.

At all, thank you alot for your resopnses.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Verbal over math

by pknox » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:48 am
Hey CBA. First of all, good luck with the studying and taking the GMAT again. One thing that helped me get a better score was understanding my strengths and weaknesses. I had a very solid verbal score and knew that there wasn't much room for me to improve there, so I concentrated most of my studying on quantitative.

Likewise, you seem to have a very good grasp of the quantitative section because of your engineering background. This does not mean to not study at all for quantitative, just concentrate more on Verbal.

In answer to your question about how much time you need, it really depends on a few things. If you have the ability to study with a native speaker of English, it would probably be very beneficial. It also depends on how much time you have to study English? If you are working or still in school, you may need more time to study because you can't study during the day. But if you are only studying for the GMAT right now, and doing nothing else, I would say that you could devote 4-6 hours a day to English comprehension and be prepared in 4-6 weeks.

Of course that all depends again on the amount of time you have to study English and if you can get with a native speaker of English. I am a native English speaker but speak several other languages fluently, and I had to spend all my time with speakers of that particular language to learn it well. Try reading and speaking only in English all day, every day until you take the GMAT.

I know this was a long post but I hope it was helpful. Good luck with all your studies and taking the test!!!! :D :D :D

Advantagous response.

by CBA » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 pm
Hello pknox,

Thanks for your feedback. It was exactly to the point. I need to work hard and hopefully everything is going to be all right.

This is really important forum for any GMAT student to deal with because it has many members like you. I appreciate your help and will not forget it forever.

Best regards.

by HJ » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:46 pm
Hi CBA,
I think you could start by reading English newspaper (you can find plenty from the internet). Another source would be TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) books.
English is not my first language either. These are the two things that have helped me to improve my english skill.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you alot.

by CBA » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 pm
Hello,

I could not imagine how this forum has people who are active and useful.

Thank you HJ and I will do your advice especially for the newspaper. For TOEFL, I will attend an exam due to the first third of this september.

Hopefully, I will reach my destination.

Best wishes,
CBA

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:03 am
HJ wrote:Hi CBA,
I think you could start by reading English newspaper (you can find plenty from the internet). Another source would be TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) books.
English is not my first language either. These are the two things that have helped me to improve my english skill.
Best of luck to you.
Just to add to HJ's advice, I recommend the following papers: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Economist.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Thanks alot

by CBA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 am
beatthegmat wrote:Just to add to HJ's advice, I recommend the following papers: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Economist.
Mmmm, thanks beatthegmat. I will look at them and hopefully will love them ;)

Thanks again
Regards